bacon sandwich

Supernatural storyline:

Rory telling Dean she loves him for the first time.

It's been a long night. Rory's coming home with a black eye, and Dean is plagued with a swollen ankle and a broken finger. But they're not focusing on the injuries as they enter the warehouse and make their way to the kitchen in sync. The sun is slowly creeping in, showcasing rory sat at the counter, holding a cup of tea with both hands, zoning out.

Dean is more grounded than her, making a sandwich because after 7 hours of fighting for their lives, he is starving. He coughed, trying to get her attention. Through hazy eyes, Rory looks up. He's watching her while he flips the bacon sandwich that's now burnt, because he was distracted thinking about how to get her to smile again. And suddenly she does.

"You know what? I think I love you, cowboy." her eyes widen, but she doesn't want to take it back. She thought she would. Her whole body is buzzing under his steady gaze and she's sure her cheeks are actually on fucking fire as she suddenly tries to look anywhere but his face. She has the immediate urge to run, spinning in the chair to make her exit except- he's in front of her already.

His heart bursts as soon as the words process. He's heard them before, but never from her. Never as her words. Never, never as her cowboy. He's told himself that time and time again, when laying in bed, when fighting alongside her, when he's catching a moment of her furious strength, hair wrapping around her face, strong arms swinging an ax against a demon, he's always told himself. He'll never hear those words. But he just did, didn't he? He knows it's true when she's looking back into his eyes, a perfect reflection of how he feels about her.

"That so, cupcake?" Her hands are grabbing the arms of the chair so tight she can feel her fingers going numb. Her shoulders, so tense when she realized what she said, collapse as he rests his hands on hers, slowly moving his fingers under hers one by one. She can't look him in the eye, focusing on the way his white tee hugs his body. Then his hands are raising hers to his chest, and she's part of the movement. They're moving together now, her hands softly resting against his, moving slowly upwards, and her face slowly moving to be in line with his.

Dean's eyes are closed, his chin hugging his chest which Rory realizes is moving just as fast as hers. Her hands slowly turn against him, untill she can envelope his hands with hers. The pressure of her fingers seems to ground Dean, as his eyes flick up to meet hers. His green eyes seem to shine even brighter as he closes his hands around hers. They share a few moments, feeling as though their hearts are beating in sync, before Dean cracks that annoying, unsymmetrical smirk. And with that flicker of the dean she loves, Rory feels her heart sink home from her throat. She inhaled deeply, and her heart felt eons lighter than just moments before.

"n what's that for?" Rory says, in a tone that before, only ina recognized as containing happiness. But today, dean heard it, too. And he smiled, truly smiled.

"Nothing much, cupcake. I'm just happy to get this off my chest." Dean leans in, and for the first time, Rory leans in, too. Centimeters from her lips, dean pauses. "I love you too, dummy."