potatoes?

J&R:

Or it could be like last time they ran into each other where she's at the house and he shows up and they both startle each other. Ah, that's good.

Except this time he barges in when she's not expecting it. Like Paige is still asleep and Jamie is up making breakfast in her pj's with a cup of coffee and he opens the front door only to lock eyes with her. That way they have a bit of catch up time? Idk. then Paige wakes up and finds them talking in the kitchen and is like OK COOL.

~

Jamie honestly should've been expecting him but so much had been going on the thought hadn't even crossed her mind. She's standing over the pan of breakfast potatoes, a cup of coffee in her hands, inches from her lips.

The sound of the back door opening and closing caught her attention and she turned towards the end of the kitchen. His familiar figure filled up the door frame, hair flopping over his eyes. The bag he was holding dropped to the floor as he stared at her in surprise.

She swallowed her nerves with another sip of coffee, going back to stirring the potatoes.

"Morning," she said as calmly as she could. It seemed to work because Ryan stood there for a few more beats, mouth still open.

He cleared his throat.

"Hi," he managed, putting the rest of his things down on a chair, taking a tentative step into the kitchen. "What are you doing here?" he asks slowly, his utter confusion of the whole situation clear. He already wanted to die. Her shoulders pulled into a shrug as she put the mug on the counter, eyes trained on him again.

He didn't look much different- though, to be fair she couldn't actually remember the last time she'd seen him. Sandy blonde hair, bright if not tired eyes, a bit too much stubble for her taste but she scolded herself for thinking that all too quickly.

She stirred the potatoes around the pan.

"Might stay this time." Like that was an answer?

"You think so?" You're being a puppy, Ryan. Stop it.

"I'd like to, yeah." Is her soft reply.

"So Luke-?" He couldn't finish the question, eyes trailing down her body slowly. She's wearing a big band T-shirt and grey sleep shorts, tan legs on full display. Her toes are a sparkly shade of blue to match her hair.

"What about Luke?" She was trying not to be too smug at his squirming.

"You're not together anymore?" He was surprised his voice still worked. Jamie blinked at him before shaking her head, reaching for her coffee again. "Oh," he sucked in a breath, trying to control the wave of emotions he was feeling at this point. There was a fierce tug in his chest; she was single and she was home. No, he was already reading too much into this. He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, Jamie." her eyes widened at his words for she was not expecting them at all.

"It's ok. I don't... think we were meant to be." He took another step into the kitchen, sensing the emotion behind her words.

She didn't tell Ryan that Luke had cheated on her. She didn't tell him that she still loved Luke, and it felt like she always would and that she hated herself for it. She didn't tell Ryan that seeing his face again brought back a lot of feelings that she'd completely forgotten about- she didn't tell him any of that.

His arms were around her before she could actually say anything else, tears rolling down her cheeks as he pulled her into his chest.

"Fuck, sorry" she breathes, hands gripping his shirt as he rubbed circles on her back.

"It's ok, Jamie." Her hair smelled just as good as he remembered.

"Do you want some potatoes?"