four in the morning

Supernatural storyline:

Dean having nightmares and crawling into bed with Rory and she's like

"dean? It's four in the morning?" half angry half idk excited and then she turns on the light and sees his face and pulls the covers back for him to get in, he doesn't say anything for a long time. So long that Rory's nearly asleep again when he turns over to face her, his eyes wet with tears. She scoots in so that their foreheads are touching. He closes his eyes, focusing on her hand that's resting on his arm, fingers dancing in a soothing circle. He has to remember to breathe.

Deans is always reluctant to disclose the themes of his nightmares but never with Rory. He'll spit it out eventually. Sometimes she's already asleep, but at least he said it out loud. This time is no different.

Her lip is between her teeth as she watches him get his breathing back to normal. Any second now,

"he put you in a cage," his voice shakes, "he threw you in the water. You couldn't get out." He tucked his face into the crook of her neck and she slips an arm underneath him for full coverage. "I couldn't save you."

Dean began to sob quietly, the tears on his face pressing to her skin. She rubbed more circles on his back, fingers running through his hair as she feathered kisses from his temple down to his jaw.

"It's just a dream, I'm right here." Her lips had reached the corner of his mouth. "Right here." She hummed and pulled back the tiniest bit, placing soft kisses on his eyelids. "Go back to sleep, cowboy."