Chapter 8: Working Things Out

You walk with Henry to his car and he puts you in the passenger's seat. He bumps into the director, whom he has a short conversation with and he does a double take at seeing you in the car. You swallow hard. Was this a good idea? You sitting in the car like this is a neon sign, isn't it? He wants to keep this quiet, doesn't he?

You watch him walk back to the car. God, he looks like he's about to take care of business.

 God, he looks like he's about to take care of business

You hope it's the sun in his eyes. It's just that you feel like you've seen that scowl earlier in the gym. The memory of it has had you a bit tense; even though he has smiling and carrying on all day, you note the glint of something you can't put your finger on when his eyes lock with yours. Unfinished. Unsaid. Undone.

You are a bit quiet during the drive, unsure of what he may say when you are truly alone. He tells you about the nearby town and some things you should know.

Finally you reach Henry's rental home. It's your first time there. The place is somewhat of a cave. The colors are mostly dark, but rich, and the light does something to change the mood of the place; it feels warm then. It feels masculine and mysterious to you and you feel like you've entered a lair.

You see his gaming computer set up and running with a "Warcraft" screensaver and cannot believe the size of the screen. "How big is that?"

"Forty-three, I think," he shrugs as Kal follows him. "Have a seat. I'll just be a minute." He disappears into the rest of the house, and you assume he is feeding Kal.

You look around and admire a chess set. It looks handpainted and expensive, so you don't touch it.

 It looks handpainted and expensive, so you don't touch it

"You play?"

You feel a little ashamed, shaking your head. "No."

"You look sad about it."

"My sis was really good at it-learned fast, but I wasn't, so Dad played with her."

"I can teach you if you like."

"Maybe," you say, shrugging again. "It is a beautiful set."

"Thank you."

He takes your hand, and sits in a chair. He pulls you down on him again, spreading your legs and you go so willingly. "Truth or dare, love."