Chapter 38: Reservations for Two

CHAPTER 38: Reservations for Two

You were up half the night...and it wasn't fun.

You were told that if you were hired by Xanadu, you'd get notified on New Year's Eve Day. You are so anxious you had to go back to listening to ambience recordings to get some sleep. He shakes his head at you, but says nothing, surprised to hear horses' hooves and nature sounds.

As the clock strikes noon, your phone rings. You accept the video call from Li Zhang and Oliver Callum of Xanadu Network.

"Hi!" you greet brightly.

"Hi!" they smile. "How are you doin'?"

"Okay, gearing up for the new year," you say with a smile. "

"Well, you've got more than that," Oliver smiled back, brown eyes sparking.

"I do?" You ask, trying not to get excited.

"Well, we decided to offer you the opportunity..."

You gasp and clap as the offer is made.

"You got it, babe?" Henry calls from another room.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Li asks.

"Yes!"

"Sounds British," Li smiles.

You blink. Henry had nothing to do with this?! Tears come to your eyes. "Yeah, figured I'd pick up a few things while I'm here."

"Ha-ha!" Henry calls from the kitchen.

"Is he a keeper?" Li asks.

"Yes, I think so," you giggle and shrug. "When do I start?"

"January 11th," Oliver says. "We'll send the link for our Zoom meetings and group chats. Do you have Microsoft Teams?"

The short meeting goes on, and you get all your information installed. You log in as an employee of Xanadu, and you are so happy. You thank them over and over for giving you this chance.

"You're in?" Henry asks stepping into view.

"Ohmigod," Li's eyes widen. "is that...?"

"You're not the first to think so," you chuckle, almost laughing out loud at your choice of words. "See you at the meeting."

Li and Oliver say their goodbyes, and you fly into Henry's arms.

"Congratulations, sweetheart," Henry catches you with ease. "Now, please, go get some sleep."

"I'm not sleepy—ooh!" You are picked up and taken to bed. He curls his body around you and sighs. "Sleep."

You awaken New Year's Eve afternoon and find a box by the bed. You open it and find that Henry has bought you a dark red nightgown. You both agreed that you would have a pajama party for two for New Year's, but you thought you'd be in one of your plain sleepshirts or even the one you bought when he ran the Durrell Challenge and you dressed like a servant and gave him a massage. That was the fanciest one you had... till now.

At seven o'clock, after making all your appetizers and putting your champagne on ice, you both get dressed. He emerges from the guest room in all black and you come out in what he got for you. Your insecurity about the gown disappears under his sparking blue eyes and flirtatious smile. He takes your hand and twirls you around him, pulling you close.

"You look good enough to eat," he shakes his head.

"Thanks," you breathe and then tell him honestly, "You always do."

You take small plates and glasses of wine to the living room. Once again you decide to watch a couple of movies to kill the time.

Finally, it comes down to it, and you stand up.