Part 83: The Clearing

It's pre-dawn.

You've had a rough night

You've had a rough night. You spent part of the night trying to remember where you were in the dark forest, and almost cried.  You remembered to put the red film over your flashlight since it's harder to see in the dark. You were alright with your makeshift tent and covering it with brush. You were even alright with beef jerky and granola bars. But oh...

"My kingdom for coffee and a toilet," you mutter to yourself. Any little sound had you jumping so you slept terribly. You check your spare cell phone, wishing you hadn't left your primary one behind. "and my phone, not this one." 

You sit in the darkness of your tent, conscious of the light breaking through the cracks of brush and green. What do you do now? Where do you go?

You have a few choices. You can stay holed up in the forest. You can find Jared's home on the other side of the forest. You could back track around your own property and head to town, find help there.

"Option three," you sigh heavily. You trust that Henry is looking for you by now, and since he and Jared don't see eye to eye, he will probably look for you alone. If you could just get into cell range--

You start walking away from your makeshift camp. If you could just find that river, or that cave.

You hear footsteps and you tense. You try to remain as still as possible. 

"She's around here, I know it," a male voice says. "She has to be."

"Looked by the river?"

Is that Jared?

"Not even a step, just animal tracks."

You sigh with relief. You used hand towels wrapped around the bottom of your boots to mask your footprints. Evidently, that worked. Thanks, Wilson.

"Graham is in custody, it's up to us now."

You're sure it's Jared. You decide to stay quiet, thinking of the message you heard from Wilson:

"Okay, listen, lass...Whatever you do, don't trust Graham. His family controlled your accounts before you were found...and there was a deal in the works to--speaking of the devil--Damn it! Leg it, you got me?! Leg it and don't trust--" 

Who am I not supposed to trust, you ask yourself.

"We should help her now," the other voice suggested. "If they caught Graham, the plan is foiled."

"I can do this," Jared said in a low voice. "We just have to find her."

You gasp and cover your mouth to cloak the sound. You want to believe that he is trying to find you for your safety, but now you don't know.

You listen to the footsteps move northeast toward a clearing you and Wilson went to. There is a well there, and you are happy you didn't go there. The ground is very soft and leaves very trackable footprints. You clutch your bag and exhale. You turn to go-