Chapter 52: Fallout

Henry POV

She wants to freshen up? At the house?

We could have done that here. She had travel stuff and a few things in a drawer in my trailer. We went back in utter silence. This is why I hate relationships. In a liaison, there is this silent understanding of the temporary that most know is always in effect. But I wasn't that way with her. She was too much of a friend, too loving, too funny, too passionate...she can't go, I won't let her, is all. I was in a relationship, a real one. Didn't I know that? Why did it take kissing a young hottie to know that?

I glanced over. "Nice bracelet."

"Thanks." Her chin is lifted in a way that a lady does when she is keeping composure. I never really cared before when I'd seen it on other women. I always thought it was sort of aloof, a sign of quick recovery, but her eyes shone with tears. Were hers the only ones I'd actually cared to see?

"From Brock?"

"Goodbye gift," she said. "He gave me a peck on the cheek."

I winced. She was hurting, and her mind looked like it was elsewhere, she wouldn't look at me. We were only inches from each other, and I felt like I couldn't reach her.

We pulled up in front of the house, and Kal jumped out. I slide out, taking his leash. "Gonna walk Kal."

She nodded.

"Coming?"

"Luna." She didn't even look at me.

"Alright." I took Kal for a walk around the property. Even he thought she was coming. In ten minutes, she came outside with Luna on her harness. I smiled. Normality. Then the setting sun showed it-her eyes were puffy. Oh, no. We played with the pets, but didn't really interact. Thirty minutes passed, and we walked back to the house. I turned her to kiss her. I needed to.

She turned away. "Did you kiss her back?"

"What?"

"Did you—" her gaze swung up to mine. "kiss her back?"

"For a second," I lied. It was longer than that. May I never lie to her again, I prayed and then told a truth. "Then I pushed her away—"

"Got to react faster than that, Henry." She whispered, turning away and heading into the house. "Life isn't a movie."

I watched her walk into the house. She wouldn't kiss me, she rejected me. Then I realized as far as she was concerned, Emma's kiss was on my lips. I walked in after her. I caught her hand.

"Wha--?"

I led her upstairs to the bathroom and started stripping.

"What—what're you--"

"Freshening up before the party," I said quickly, and began stripping her. "Come on." I turned on the shower and pulled her in. She looked like a deer in headlights.

She watched me wet my hair. Then I did something so crazy, maybe even desperate. I soaped my face and scrubbed it with a small brush...hard. It hurt. She used this thing gently, but if one put some strength to it...yes, it stung... "Henry! What are you doing? Stop that!" She snatched it from me, alarmed.

"My face is dirty, isn't it?" I asked her, searching her eyes as the water came down on us. "Isn't it?"

Even in the shower I could see her eyes fill with tears. She threw the brush aside and pulled me into her arms, her breath catching as she shook, crying softly. I sagged against her, feeling exhausted, relieved. I slowly put my arms around her and watched the soap rinse off my face with blurry vision, uncaring that some got in my eyes. I felt the heat of my own tears mix with the water as I squeezed her tight.