Chapter 37: Christmas

You decide to do some house cleaning and cooking while Henry is immersed in his PC upgrade. You are surprised he took it out, but you realize this is a gift to himself-the card, the installation, the whole process. Kal watches patiently and Luna? Curious about what Henry's doing and investigating the second bedroom aka mancave.

You bring him a sandwich and a drink since he didn't have breakfast, and find a funny surprise.

"Dear God, Luna!" You laugh. "How did you get in there?"

"It's empty now," Henry chuckles, sparing the kitten a glance. "She's been trying to get in for a bit now. Congratulations, darling. Now how are you going to get out?" You move to help, but Henry catches your hand. "Uh-uh, she's fine, let her do it."

You roll your eyes at him, but comply. You watch her wrestle and move inside the box, and you realize she's playing.

"See?" he gloats. "not even ready to come out yet."

You go into town and pick up Henry's present after getting an email that it has arrived. You want to find the right wrapping paper and you are having a time of it. Finally you decide to simply wrap it in brown paper, tie it with string.

When he sees you bring it in and put it under the tree, his eyes light up. He stares so hard at it you laugh.

"X-ray vision on the blink, Superman?" you ask jokingly.

"Why use that when I can just—" he pulls you against him and rakes your back. "easily tear the coverings off?"

"No." you whisper, looking in his eyes playfully.

"No, what?" he whispers back.

"No clues, Sherlock, not even one." You tap his nose, giggling.

He sticks his tongue out at you and goes back to his mancave. "Midnight isn't far off anyway." He throws over his shoulder.

You look under the tree at all the presents and you still feel uneasy. You checked already; with the exception of treat bags for Luna and Kal, and the gift you just shoved under there, the rest are for you. You realize that he is millionaire so whatever he's got for you can't be a lot by proportion. You sigh. What you got for him was what you wanted him to have.

He comes out of his cave, hearing the sound of chopping and water boiling. He comes out and cuts ingredients, and you enjoy his standing behind you and rubbing his cheek against yours watching you get food ready to cook. His stray touches at the small of your back as he moves back and forth doing as asked makes you smile. He winks as he pulls out the bread dough he made and let rise for a time, sliding it into the oven. He disappears into his mancave again as food cooks and bakes, but this time he takes you with him. He is done with his task, and explains the improvements. You understand most of it, but it's his voice that you listen to. He is excited and happy that he has complete his task, and shows you why this improvement was necessary. You smile, and you sit in his lap as he plays a game. You enjoy watching him, his eyes intent on the screen, how his eyebrows furrow or how he licks and bites his lower lip from time to time. You are like this when you write, and he loves pushing your glasses up when they slide down to the tip of your nose when you are just too involved to do it at the moment.