Chapter 60: Britainization, Part 1

You saved five thousand from working for Netflix after paying for whatever you needed and sending money home to your family. You still have the same amount of credit available on cards. Xanadu didn't pay as much, but you love your job, and it just pays for you. You call home to tell your family that you won't be able to send much at all anymore, and though they didn't like it, they understood. You point out that you sent thousands in the last several months, and that reminder changed the subject...to Henry. You don't want to say much. You explain there is no engagement, but there is a commitment to take things day by day. You say you are settling in the U.K. because you like working and sort of living the dream. Your brother asks for swag, your sister does too. The phone call was a long one, but it had to be done.

Henry has been so supportive. He becomes your advisor, mover and just every day boyfriend.

"See my present?" Stella says excitedly.

"What?"

She points upstairs to your sleeping area, and you see a panoramic picture of your hometown skyline.

"Oh, Stella!" you whisper. "Stella, you're so sweet, I—" you hug her. "thank you."

"That's something you shouldn't leave behind," Henry nods. "Really gorgeous."

"Of course not, it's a gift," you tell him.

Stella gives Henry a knowing look, and he walks back down the steps to his new place on the couch. You can tell he likes it.

"He isn't crazy about you being here, is he?" Stella whispers.

"He understands, and that is what matters," you whisper back. "What's your schedule like the next few days?"

"Pretty clear at the moment," she replies excitedly. "Why?"

"I need to go shopping," you admit. "I've spent all my time in activewear, and I need to look like I'm sticking around."

"Oooh, that sounds fun!" Stella beams. "When do you want to go?"

"We'll have to check our schedules," you nod. "I mean, I want to make a day of it, if I can, like get mani-pedi's?" Stella starts to frown but you say, "My treat?"

"Oh, you're such a good friend!" Stella hugs you. "Heading to the restaurant. Talk to you later!"

First, he takes you to Currys for a TV

First, he takes you to Currys for a TV. Sales staff bend over backwards for him and he immediately defers to you, telling them that you are the one buying something that day. His presence did alter treatment from some, but that you were willing to accept for now. You begin to see why he is moving quickly. The public goes through phases: Phase one: That guy looks like him. Phase Two: Wait a minute, is that, uh...? Phase Three: Oh, shit! And then comes the pointing, the whispering, and finally, the phone camera snaps and shyly requested selfies. He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. He is in work mode if he gets to phase three. He frowns, looking at the floor.