Chapter 31: "L" Words

"Hey, sweetheart."

"Hey." You are feeling a little breathless, truthfully, nervous. You get the all-clear from the doctor, but is tonight the night? You have been all over the place about it. You know he has been compassionate and sweet, but sometimes a guy does not want to be around a woman he knocked up. "Why is she out of the box?"

"She's awake," he shrugs, smiling down at her. "She's been pretty content on the step."

"Oh my gosh, her ears unfolded finally!" you say with a small gasp. "Oh, sweetie!" You pick Luna up and snuggle her. "Where is her box?"

He reaches behind him and hands it over.

"Another t-shirt? New box?"

"Freshly worn. The old one is on the bed here."

You roll your eyes at him and laugh. "Luna is spoiled."

"Nothing wrong with changing bedding, love," he says as you put her in the box. You notice that this one as handles.

"Henry!" Colin calls.

You look at Henry's face which is odd.

"It arrived just in time, eh?" Colin smiles, handing over the box.

"A surprise?" you say, hoping that Colin gives up the contents.

"Yeah, makes sense, something nice for Luna and for Kal," Colin grins, reading the look on Henry's face.

"Thanks, Colin," Henry says sarcastically.

"No problem!" Colin nods to you both, "Have a great weekend."

"We'll open it at the house, right?"

"I suppose," Henry rolls his eyes.

Everyone boards the car, and heads to the house.

"Alright, let's have it," you say before he can even set the box.

He sets down the box in the guest room and opens it.

"Good Lord, Henry!" you can't believe it. "Is this some deluxe model?"

He chuckles, a bit embarrassed. "Well, it's multipurpose, you know."

"I see," you shake your head. "It's like a crib playpen."

"A what?"

"Never mind." You imagine him on his phone or his computer, shuffling through websites and choices for this little one, and it warms your heart.

He offers to make dinner while you feed Luna, sparking your by the smell of roasted beef in the air and his wanting to keep you out of the kitchen. In a few weeks, this wouldn't be necessary. According to the books and sites, weaning would begin soon. You finally get her settled in her new place, thanks to a recently worn tee of Henry's.

 You finally get her settled in her new place, thanks to a recently worn tee of Henry's