Chapter 39: Happy New Year

You both are asleep and dozing on New Year's Day like two lions under a tree in the savannah, barely moving, and truthfully when awake, only to shift and curl closer.

But then reality comes in the form of your charges. You hear a plate clatter, and maybe splatter on the floor.

"Ah!" Henry growls. "That's Luna." He raises his head and deepens his voice, calling to her. "Luna, get off the table, now!" The entire house is silent at his roar with the exception of four little padded feet hitting the floor.

"Why do you think it's her?"

"Kal wouldn't do that."

"Really?" you ask. "Kal is no angel—"

"But he's well trained."

"Ten bucks says she's not the only one."

"Let's go better than that, let's do pounds," he teases.

"Fine, ten pounds then, Brit."

"You're on, Yank."

"Well, go see."

He rolls out of bed and throws on a tank and shorts, fueled with wanting to win his wager.

"Oh, good, you're up," you stretch lazily as he goes to the door. "Would you mind feeding them and starting the coffee?"

"You—"

You wag a finger and cluck your tongue. "I didn't do anything." You start laughing.

"But you are," he comes back to you, and crawls onto the bed over you. "You're getting up, too, young lady!"

"Why?" you whine. "You have everything well in hand, I'm sure—"

"But you're awake now, too."

You fake a yawn that ends in a yelp and a laugh as he tickles your sides and nuzzles your neck. "Not fair. And...I'm not dressed." You remind.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm cryin' a river, here," he says in a New York accent, making you laugh as he pulls you into a sitting position and throws one of his t-shirts over your head. He grabs your ankle, pulls you to the edge of the bed and picks you up like sack of potatoes in a fireman's carry. "Up!"

"Awww!"

"Come on, you have kitchen duty while I deal with Luna and Kal," he pats your bottom. Your vision swings around the room as he moves. "Where'd she go?"

"Uh...the tower?"

In the small cube, Luna is munching on leftover salmon.

"Oh, the chicken...the chicken!" He moves quickly to the area in question. Kal is standing by his bowl, but he is licking his lips way too much. "Kal, I'm disappointed." The canine ducks his head, but pants happily as if he doesn't know what was said. "That kitty is a bad influence on you, old boy." He sighs. "They're fed as far as I'm concerned."

"That's—that's---"

"Breakfast," he finishes, setting you down. "I'll take Kal out, and you can start coffee. I guess Ill help clean up the mess in the dining room."

"Can't you clean up the dining room?" you ask. "Ten pounds in it for ya."

He chuckles softly. "Done."

"Thank you."

"You've got dishes and breakfast, though," he says grabbing a sweatshirt before flashing a poster grin. "Thanks so much—"

"You—oooh!" You throw a towel he watches fall way short of him and he grins happily before grabbing Kal's leash. You make coffee and the scent of it as almost as intoxicating as wine. You look outside, inhaling and sipping as you watch Henry and Kal outside.

It was like he reset your body last night. You'd never had someone make it all the way around like that. Truthfully, you'd never had someone know how to keep you going like that, either. Now, you felt like his handprints were all over you, and that wasn't a bad thing, but it also scared you a little. He has this way of claiming, of possession, you didn't understand. He didn't say it, he didn't have to, you just knew, felt it. You swallow hard. Every time you think you've got a handle on this, like a trapeze bar, you get reminders that someone could be slowly snipping the net loose below you.

You make a skillet breakfast, mostly vegetables but with steak and eggs on top, the ultimate.

"YES!" He smiles upon his return. He quickly cleans the table, and then sets it for two. Kal licks his lips. "See, you would have gotten a treat, but you gave up that right."

You sit and have breakfast, talking about your schedules. Life is to resume shortly-you to Xanadu and he to Witcher. You are so happy you won't have to go to London right away since he has more to do here in York.

While sitting in the sun afterward, you get a text from Stella. She has a job in Lancaster at an inn for a time while hoping to secure a better one in London. She wants to get together for lunch before you start work for Xanadu.

"I think it's a great idea," he nods. "Stella seems to be a really good friend, and those are not easy to come by."

You nod in agreement

You nod in agreement. "Yes, precious and few."

He frowns. "Do you miss any of your friends back in the States."

"Again, precious and few," you shake your head. You are looking out the window and know he is looking at you. He wants to know more. You figure he is probably having you checked. He has to, right? You are learning about him little by little, and truthfully, he makes statements with a small analysis. He has a way of putting things in boxes that makes you a little uneasy, but you feel like you may be his exception. Hopefully he won't throw you aside if you do not fit quite as well as he or others would like. That fills you with hope.