Chapter 66: Walk, Trot, Canter, Jump

"They really like you," you say, watching Henry bond with a horse

"She knows me," Henry smiles. "kind of how Luc knows you." He looks at you and then at the horse. "Come on, I'll introduce you."

You step forward slowly.

"Daisy, I'd like you to meet someone special," he begins. He introduces you and you pet Daisy as well. "You've never been to an event before, have you?"

Henry wants you to consider eventing with Luc. Finn is even more excited about the idea. Eventing is like an equestrian beauty and brains pageant, taking part in and competing in categories like dressage, cross-country, and show jumping. He gives you a tour of Hyde Park, and it becomes clear that he is pitching it. It is, after all, located in Kensington, near his home. But, Luc is at Trent, so that must change before you'd consider it.

You have been training with Luc at Trent, and you probably could get through beginner novice, the lowest level, but you are not sure it is for you, or for Luc. As word spreads about you and Luc, you are invited to an equestrian event, your first brush with some of the London elite. You are happy to have Henry at your side today and he seems happy about going, but you really don't want to. You are happy being in the stables and fields with him. It's funny to want to go to the event but not interact.

It turns out that eventing was fine. You focus on the riders and horses, smile and say hello as you are introduced. Some people ask you about Luc, and you are more than happy to answer those questions. As you hold Henry's hand which is warm and assuring, you can't help but notice three ladies who look like they came out of a catalog. You feel as if they want to talk to you, and not nicely as their eyes are trained on you but are talking to each other. But Henry was a deterrent. Whatever they wanted to say, they didn't want him to hear, which means they do not mean well.

"You alright?" Henry asks.

"Guess so," you shrug.

"Overwhelmed?" he gently smiles in understanding.

"A little."

"I was going to take you to the Royal Albert-a string quartet is playing—"

You gasp, both of you knowing you love listening to string quartets. "Oh, Henry, we can go—"

He shakes his head. "Let's save that for another day."

He takes you to Afternoon Tea at The Library. You love it. Tea in the midst of all these books!