Chapter 63: Britainization with a T

You are going to be late, which is just disrespectful, you think as you put on a skort and wrap front top quickly. You put on earrings and slip into flats. Stella said simply not to come in athletic gear or denim, and you stuck to that. You scurry down the steps and knock on her door.

Stella opens the door, grinning ear to ear. You see she is wearing a pink casual dress and you frown wondering if you're underdressed. "Are you ready?"

You take a deep breath and shrug. "Ready as I will ever be, Stella."

She walks you into the house, and yells, "STUART! ARCHER! She's here!"

"Seriously?" You look at her.

"Yes, seriously," she tilts her chin up. "A dress rehearsal will be good for you."

"Did you watch the YouTube links I sent you?"

'Yeah."

"Alright, let's start, then!"

The knock at the door startles you back to the present and you heart skips a beat. With one last look in the mirror, you check your outfit. You rush to the door, trying to remember what you practiced with Stella, and open it:

"Hello, love," he greets with a bottle of champagne.

You gasp softly. It has just slammed into you who he is, just this very minute. He is a heartthrob, he is a model. He is a status. Your mouth goes dry as his tailored suit brings back all the anxiety men in suits give you. "Hello. You look nice." You step back to let him in.

"I was about to say the same about you," he smiles enigmatically, his eyes roving over you. "New dress, isn't it?"

"When in Rome," you shrug with giggle

"When in Rome," you shrug with giggle. "Here, have a seat."

He sits down and looks at you strangely. "I must admit, I was a bit surprised when you asked me to come over for afternoon tea."

"It had to happen at some point, right?" you smile at him, and when he does, your breath catches. Oh, God, are you slow. What the hell is this man doing in your apartment? "I'm surprised you dressed up."