Chapter 28: Good News, Bad News

CHAPTER 28: Good News, Bad News

You awaken abruptly, your body sucking air in panic from the memories of earlier that night. You feel your hand being held and see Henry there. You try to sit up.

"Easy, easy." Henry looks over his shoulder as he stands up. "Doctor, she's awake!"

You look around to see you are in an infirmary. "What?"

"Hold on, darling," he says as Dr. Stevens, the head of the movie medical team, starts examining you. You flinch as your thigh is touched. and it starts coming back to you. You had an allergic reaction. You are breathing normally, but you are tired. And, you've started your period.

"Gave us all a scare, there," Dr. Stevens nodded, shining a light in your eyes.

"Sorry."

"Be glad that Henry had training," Dr. Stevens said, unwrapping a tongue depressor. "Ah."

"Ahhhhh." You hate those things. They don't seem happy till you gag, and true to form you do.

"Henry knew exactly what to do when you had your reaction," Dr. Stevens said, taking your pulse. "Might have saved your life."

You look at Henry, but he doesn't look happy. He looks worried. "I feel much better. May I go?"

"You had a late reaction."

"Two?"

"I'm afraid so," Dr. Stevens nodded. "and it caused the..." he looks at Henry. "may we talk?"

"He can stay," you say with an uneasy smile.

Dr. Stevens blinks at Henry, then at you. "Oh...I see." He goes to the door and closes it and gestures Henry closer. "We took blood from you."

"And?"

He glances at you both, then focuses on you. "You were pregnant."

You blink, swallowing hard. You glance at Henry, who looks surprised, then saddened. "Were?"

"It was in very early stages," Dr. Stevens explains. "I know I told you to come back in two weeks, but when this happened I decided to test today just in case." He purposely didn't look at Henry, whose eyes now glistened. "Your reactions triggered it. I'm sorry, there wasn't anything we could do..."

Dr. Steven's voice becomes mumbled as he goes on. You watch Henry talk to him and you just feel like you are behind a glass, unable to hear, and in your own world. There was a...a baby. And...it's gone, just like that. Your period isn't a period. It's a miscarriage. You begin to tremble. You fight tears. You don't know how you feel. You look at Henry, catching his eye.

"I'd like to take her home," Henry nods, his look solemn. "Is that alright?"

"It's been four hours," Dr. Stevens nods. "She had her second reaction, so I think she'll be alright. She needs to rest a couple of days. I will give you some literature with signs to look for if she has more reactions or bleeds excessively." He gives a card. "This is my number. I will come straight away if you need me."

"Thank you."

"When can I go back to work?" you ask, earning a look of surprise from Henry.

"If you feel up to it, I'd say Tuesday." Dr. Steven says. "Of course, I'd like to see you Monday before you do."

"Alright," you agree, starting to sit up. You feel like shit, but you want your own bed. You want something normal. The last few hours have not been that.

"You can stay here—"

"No, I want to go home." You look at Henry pleadingly.

"I'll look after her," Henry assures.