Chapter 42: Coffee & Cavill

You awaken just in time to see Henry hit the door, Kal trailing behind him. He is back in gear, so to speak, but not at a hundred percent. You roll out of bed, and you feel weak. It's been a week since his request, and you are not the early riser you used to be. You're just getting back to normal and it's because he is working a bit more now.

And to your surprise, you've begun to miss him. He is on his work schedule, his day starting in the middle of the night, and he is in bed early. It is part of his regimen, and you want him to get his rest, so you work in the evenings after he goes to bed. Though you know he is doing what he has to do, at times you feel a little ignored. He is married to his career, not to you, and truthfully he is in demand. He must strike while the iron is hot, and try to keep it that way, until, until...

You really don't know.

You are working on your projects with Xanadu. Sometimes you get a little sensitive and paranoid when they ask to see your previous works, but you remind yourself all that is yours. You even made a point of asking before signing anything. It's one thing to devote your talents to company projects, but your previous creations are completely separate deal.

But still, you feel a sense of balance, you need it. Even if you are working on projects of theirs and still ones of your own from time to time, you want a full life-a full one with Henry in it. You are afraid he may take you for granted as others have. You are afraid he will become bored and seek excitement elsewhere. His job yields access to Vanity Fair Marie Claire beauties, to fantasy roles and scenes with actresses people dream of, women of status. Hell, he is made of dreams to a point if all one saw was the flat two dimensional glossy representation, or the gym jacked, attractive characters he plays and tries to bring third dimensions to. He is an actor, a successful directed animator of stories written by-people like you.

But you chase those fears away. You have to. It's not attractive. You go through your list as always when you feel like this in a relationship. Have you done anything wrong? Have you been a good friend? Have you been a good lover? Do you communicate? Men are terrible at it, it's on you. Are you picking up cues and learning new ones? You mentally check off boxes. Yes, yes, yes, yes..

"Good morning."

You gasp, startled, and then chuckle. "Every now and then you get one up on me."

"Well, gotta keep you on your toes." He takes your hand and you go up on your toes in releve' and turn, leaning toward him after, making him laugh.

"Hey, I took beginner's ballet," you wink, coming down on your heels.

He smiles at you, the kind of smile that tells you that he's not easily fooled, he knows something's up. You love and hate how well he reads you. "You're up early."

"Missed seeing you," you say truthfully, kissing his cheek. "I love how rugged you look in the morning-all unpolished, un made up, stubble on that chin."

His cheeks color slightly as he laughs, and does a small fake pout. "Aw, you don't like my modeling?"

"I appreciate the modeling you do, but it's an image, babe, it's art," you tell him. "I just like it when you're...you."

His look softens.

You have been kicking around an idea, and you take a deep breath. "Wanna work out with me?"

His laugh is totally masculine as he puts his arms around your waist. "I don't think I have time for that today, love."

"That's not what I meant, though I like that idea, too," you add quickly, putting your hands on his chest. You look in his eyes. "Tomorrow morning?"