Part 82: My Lost Lady (Henry POV)

I never u-turned so fast in my life:

"Henry, get out here, quick, and bring the police."

I felt like I was driving from London instead of turning around halfway.

I get back to the house. I see the fire ladder dangling on the side from her bedroom window. It's unusually quiet. I pull out my key and before I can turn it, the door opens.

Graham looks winded. "Sir Henry--"

"Out of my way," I growl. I turn to him before he could get close. "Where is she?"

Graham's face turns to one of worry. "I don't know. She left."

"Left?" I move through the house, glancing rooms on the ground floor. "I doubt that." I go in the kitchen and see the tea set in the sink. I scan quickly. Everything is there except a saucer, and one cup looks like it hasn't been touched. I start up the stairs. "Called the police?"

"What for?" Graham asks. "She probably just went on a hike in the forest--"

"She never goes alone in there," I whirl on him. "She's afraid of it."

"I told her to stay put."

"Did you?" I nod, sure my expression and tone told him I didn't believe him. 

"Wait--"

I go into her room...our room. I look around. 

"Luna had spiked tea."

I start clicking my tongue. "Luna?"

Graham becomes puzzled. "What?!"

"Luna, darling...it's Daddy, come out, now." I feel my throat tighten. "Where is she?"

"I don't really keep track of her."

I drop on my knees and look under the bed. "Luna!" I pull her, and alarm spreads through me. "Luna?" I drag her out, and see she is breathing. "Dear God. What have you done?"

"Lady Edenvale takes care of her, she won't let me." He exhales.

"Call the police. NOW!" I order. "I suspect some sort of foul play!"

"Alright."

I lift Luna from the floor to see a piece of toilet paper under her. "What the--" I feel a crack on my head from behind and feel the water and glass on me. I drop Luna, shaking my head to clear the cobwebs and rise to feel an arm go around my neck. I grab the arm and squat into a horse stance, pulling my assailant over my shoulder and head and onto the bed. 

"Only Graham could have done it--please, get here!"

I push Luna back under the bed and step back. I realize I bit my lip and lick the blood off.  "You're responsible for this." I watch his hand move to his jacket and I punch his face then leap and pin that hand under him with my own weight. I start choking him out, and he tries to fight me, but since one arm is pinned under our weight he only has one hand to defend himself. We roll and I see his once free arm has a knife. I grab that hand wrap my legs around him, still in a one arm choke hold. I hit the knife against the foot of the wood frame bed three times and he lets go, now using two arms to try to get out of the choke hold. I put both arms around his neck and tighten, both of us tiring, both of us trying to last. Then finally, Graham is limp. 

At first I am not sure if he is faking. I keep a hold with one arm and push the knife off the bed. He isn't moving. I roll him off me, and pull my phone out of my pocket. I call the police as I run downstairs to get something to tie him with. I go in the kitchen and find zip ties for garbage bags, then grab a cast iron skillet. 

Just as he comes into view, I swing the pan. "Oh, yeah, mate. You're out."

The police is forty five minutes away. Small towns share stations here. I make the call.

"Hen?"

I suddenly feel short of breath, probably relief. "Piers, get Nik."

There is a silence. "What, Hen?"

"On your way to Edenvale?"

"On my way, Hen," Piers says with understanding. "We're coming."

I wait for the police to come, and they have their hands full with Graham, who suddenly is unable to speak. He runs the story by them, and that is when I pull Luna and the sample from under the bed and tell the police my side. She is beginning to awaken, and I am glad there is a sample of what was in her because now it may be gone. Having to give us both the benefit of the doubt, the police take Graham, Luna and the tissue back to the station. I tell them I will go look for my lady, and they say they will send a search party, but I can tell that since Graham is the only one under suspicion, they are in no hurry.

My gut screamed it could be worse. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was. 

Finally, I hear a car coming

Finally, I hear a car coming. I gear up and head outside to see a car that was not my brother's.

"Alright?" Piers greets, getting out of the car.

"Better now," I tell him. I see Nik in the back seat. Who's in front?

"I brought help," Piers nods, and out of the passenger's side comes Wilson. 

"We've got to hurry," Wilson frowns. "Before he finds her."

"Who?"

"Oxfordshire."