Chapter 47: Emeralds

You hate it.

Everytime Henry goes to work now, you hate yourself. Why?

Because he has given you no reason to feel what you're feeling. He is as attentive as before, loving as before, but your time is a bit constrained because of his hours and the schedule the project is trying to keep. You understood that. You did before...

But...

That new girl Emma is Henry's type: new, young, intriguing at first glance. He once told you that he was the descendant of barbarians. Barbarians conquer because they want to mark and claim something that wasn't theirs, and if there is no challenge after, will lose interest and move on to greener pastures.

You don't want to appear jealous or insecure but the feelings are there, and you did not miss the way he appreciated her looks. You'd have to be blind. The way he looks at you and the way he looks at her are not the same. He has special tones for you, you realize one day when he invited you to lunch. Even she saw that, and you secretly enjoyed her blink of jealousy and blink of neutrality when Henry glanced at her.

One day you decide to surprise Henry for lunch. You decide to go to Stella and bring his food to him as a surprise, a flashback from the old days when you were working on set.

"Hey!"

"Hey, you!" Stella elbow bumps you. "What're you doing here?"

"I thought I'd bring Henry his lunch, if you don't mind."

"Oh, Wendy!" Stella called over her shoulder, and whispers, "I'm not on the bottom anymore, not completely, thank God!"

A red head comes out wearing an apron. "I'm not done with the pots—"

"I know, but did you see Henry's lunch?"

"Uh, yeah, Emma's been taking it."

Stella looks at you and frowns at the new girl. "Emma?"

"Yes, she's been taking it to his trailer," Wendy shrugs.

Stella blinks at you. "I swear, I didn't—" She swings around to face Wendy, hand on her hip. "aren't you supposed to take it?"

"She was taking it for him, said that they had rehearsals or something," Wendy began to rub the sides of her pants nervously. "I never heard any complaints."

"Okay," Stella nods curtly. After Wendy leaves, she says, "I know what you're thinking."

"What?"

"I really believe he loves you."

You swallow hard. "Love and lust are not friends, Stel." You turn your heel and leave. You know the way to his trailer. You feel sick because you're scared. You feel angry because he never mentioned this. You feel ashamed because you should trust him more. You feel the beginnings of a headache when you knock on his trailer door.

He swings the door open and looks surprised. Just as he is about to say something, Emma comes out. "We were rehearsing."

"During lunch?" you ask with a breathless smile.

"He's been really nice, making time for me," Emma smiled. You see Henry frown at her and she adds, "you know, pointers and advice. I'm still new to all this."

You take a very slow breath. "You're rehearsing?"

"Yes, we were," Henry said in a low voice, a tone that you'd heard before but not with him. He did not want to argue about this, and didn't want to be questioned, either.