Never Giving Up On You (Blackquill x Detective! Reader)

Prompt: None

Timing: Turnabout For Tomorrow

Type of oneshot: Fluff

Reader's Age: 26

Reader's Occupation: Dective

Reader's Relations: Blackquill's girlfriend since before the UR-1 incident

Warnings?: Spoilers for Turnabout For Tomorrow

Other notes: None

Requested?: Yes

--------------------

After the UR-1 incident, as it soon became known by the police, occured and Simon took the blame for the murder of Athena's mother, I took it upon myself to raise her. I didn't want her to have to go to an orphanage and although she had family in Europe, the plane flight wouldn't have been a good place for an eleven-year-old. However this made my work as a detective harder as I frequently had to bring her along with me. I tried not to bring her to the murder scenes, not wanting her to be reminded of that horrible incident, only taking her when I was put on a theft case or something like that.

However, I'm getting side-tracked. Throughout the seven years that it would take to clear Simon's name and find the real killer, I ended up pulling several all-nighters, at least a year's worth, trying to find evidence to clear his name. However, as his execution date drew closer, I was starting to lose hope. I had realised that there would be no chance of a re-trial, unless I had significant evidence that had been brought to a new light or a new piece of evidence all together.

It was another one of those days when I'd fallen asleep on my desk down at the precinct when I was awoken abruptly by a knock on my door. I stretched and yawned, trying to pretend as if I hadn't been asleep, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal one of my fellow detectives, "Hello, Gumshoe. What can I do for you today?"

"I thought you might want to know that Mr Wright's got a re-trial of that incident."

"Really?! Gummy, you better not be messing with me."

"I'm not. Although, just between you and me, I'm not sure how it'll play out. The only reason why there's a retrial is because of the incident at the Space Centre. There's no new evidence that cou-" I zoned him out, remembering something. I had been on a case a year ago and the victim was unidentified.

"That's it! I knew he wasn't to be trusted! 'In justice we trust' my left foot. Thanks, Gumshoe!" I shouted, running out of my mini office at the precint, heading for the courthouse. I knew that the trial was being held in Courtroom 4, after the bombing so I ran there. However, it wasn't as easy as I thought. When I tried to enter the courtroom, one of the bailiffs stopped me, "Miss, you can't enter this courtroom, there is a trial currently going on."

"I'll have you know, that I am a dective and I have new evidence to present in this case!"

"Have you been called as a witness?"

I pouted and went to sit on the sofa, knowing I wasn't going to get in and I'd have to wait til a recess was called.

-----------------

Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long, Athena came bounding out the courtroom, Mr Wright following behind her.

"Athena, wait. You're the defendant in the case! You can't just run off!"

"I'm not running off I'm ju-(Y/n)?!" I looked up when I heard her voice, "Athena?!"

"Hello!" She came running up to me and hugged me, "I haven't seen you in ages!"

"I know, Thena. How's being a lawyer working out for you?"

"Good.... I guess. Although, I'm a defendant now too!" she replied sticking her hand out in a peace sign after she'd broken off from me. Mr Wright came walking over, "Athena, that's not something you should be happy about. Detective (L/n), what brings you here today? You're not on a case are you?"

"Nope! I just came to give you this actually," I responded, handing him the document, "I suggest you keep an eye on that so called 'Detective Fulbright'. I was on a case a year ago, and I've now realised that the victim was one Bobby Fulbright. The one that's been leading your recent cases is a fake."

"WHAT?!"

-------------------------BLACKQUILL'S POV

"I'm much obliged... ...The day to part with these has come at last. Chief Prosecutor... could you?"

He nodded and my shackles were removed. I massaged my wrists, "How long have I waited. Maybe it's the sense of freedom, but even the air seems fresher, the light, brighter... And I will relish slashing that blackguard Fulbright to shreds without mercy."

"Prosecutor Blackquill, one last thing before I return to the office. You should thank Detective (L/n), for getting you freed. She's the one that spent at lot of time trying to solve this case. Gumshoe told me that at least 4 times a day, he found her asleep on her desk after pulling an all-nighter the day before to try to clear your name."

"I will."

"I should head back to the office. I want to look into a few things. Namely... ...the first people on the scene seven years ago, the facial data registered by the robot... ...and Detective Fulbright's background."

"Thanks, Edgeworth."

"I expect to be repaid with a victory, Wright. Now, if you'll excuse me."

-------------------Your POV

The minute the trial was over, Athena pounced on me, "Thank you! For everything you've done for me!"

I smiled, "Of course, Athena. I'd do anything to protect you, just remember that."

"Still," she paused and started sniffling, "Thank you!" I then felt a tap on my shoulder, "(Y/n), you-" I recognised the voice immediately, and turned around after disentagling myself from Athena and pounced on Simon, "I missed you so much! I'm so glad you're free!-" before I could finish my rant, he had kissed me to shut me up, "(Y/n), you really need to take care of yourself. Pulling all-nighter-" He didn't finish his sentence as I fell into him, asleep. I guess those years of pulling 5 all-nighters a weeks caught up to me.