chapter 3

Flashback

When I was three years old, my dad got sick and died. After that mom worked super hard to support us. And I helped out whenever I could. And star never met her dad. He left her and her mom after she was born. Tohru says as her younger self and star did their homework. Hey tohru are you getting this. star says pouting. Sweet tohru! Your mama is hungry for sukiyaki today. Tohru's mom said hugging young tohru. Yeah my sweet little shooting star let's go home so we can cook dinner. star's mom says tugging stars sleeve. Yeah no can't we just stay here. Come on tohru let's go make dinner! star says to tohru. Sukiyaki tohru and stars mom say in unison. Our mom's always protected us. They were so strong. So cheerful. We never thought someone like them... tires screeching. Would die in an accident or in stars case got stabbed by a gang member. like that so suddenly. Everyone argued about who would take me in. and star had no family left. And never left my side. But in the end, my grandpa was the one to do it. Star also stayed with us. Dinner's ready grandpa. Tohru says. He's living on a pension now, and we didn't wanna be a burden. So I promised him I would pay for my own tuition and living expenses. And star's mom had a wad of cash stashed away in her bank account. But she doesn't spend it on anything but what she needs since her mom worked hard for the money. That all happened in may. Kyoko and Akri, my daughter and her family are going to be moving in here, but first I'm having some renovations, so I plan to stay with them for a bit. I suppose we could all live at their place until the construction is finished, but it's just too small. If you two have a good friend you can stay with instead, that might be more comfortable for you. Uo lives in a tiny apartment, and hanajimas are a family of five. There's no way we could stay with them for months, so... that's fine, grandpa! After all, i'm going to live alone eventually anyway. This is a chance for me to see if i'm up for the challenge. Tohru says even if the only place we can afford to live is in a tent that I bought for sale! Even if typhoons like the one a few days ago threaten to blow me and star away. Like I said before, I couldn't let star use her mom's hard earned money on a hotel. so i couldn't ask her. I'll never give up tohru says, wiping the windows. No matter how small or flimsy, anywhere can be home once you get used to it. She says out loud wiping the windows then running around mopping the floors. Our jobs have gotten so much easier since they hired the new girl. Yeah no kidding. Oh and young lady thank you for the tea the ladies said to star. Yeah no problem. My shift was over so I thought I would make you ladies some tea. Star says, sitting down beside them. I work as a secretary for the person who owns this building. I love the outfit, it's pretty cute on me.

I'm so tired of eating out or getting delivery every single night

I'm so tired of eating out or getting delivery every single night. Shigure says. The obvious solution is to make dinner. Yuki says. Except that you complain every time I cook something. Shigure says. Well, maybe I would stop complaining so much if someone would stop putting pickled radishes in the curry. Yuki says. As if you're more competent than I am. Please. You're awful around the house. Two slovenly bachelors like us could really stand to have a woman around. Shigure says. Yuki looks over to see tohru and star walking. Hey speaking of, isn't that the girls from this morning? Tohru and star right? Shigure questions. Maybe they really do live nearby, Yuki says. I heard both of their mothers passed away a little while ago. Yuki says as tohru trips a bit. Woah tohru you ok star goes up to tohru grabbing her arm. Yeah I'm fine, just a bit tired. Tohru reaspons. So they could have moved. Yuki says he is still watching the two girls. But none of the lands have been rented. Not outside the family. Shigure says looking at Yuki then back at the girls. Star and tohru sigh. Hey mom star and tohru say in unison. We're finally back! Tohru says with a close eye smile. I'm really sleepy. tohru says. Yeah me too star says crawling behind tohru in the tent. But I still have some homework to finish before tomorrow. You too star tohru says turning on the light. Awww but I wanna sleep tohru star whines. Tohru sighs. I'm feeling a little weak and light-headed. Aww tohru you stay right here i'll go get some water star says opening the tent but seeing two males in front of her. Huh? Star exclaims. Star are you ok- tohru looks out the tent then sweat drops. Sighure starts pointing and laughing at the two girls. It isn't that funny. Yuki says.

At shigure and yuki's house

I thought something was strange. The somas own all the land in this area. Yuki says as shigure was still laughing.

Star and tohru looked down, not meeting eye contact. Um would it be ok if.... Torhru says clenching her fist on her lap. If we lived there just a little longer? Star says finishing tohru's sentence. We'll leave as soon as the renovations are over, I swear. Tohru says. Please, we don't have a lot of extra money, but we'll pay. Star says. That's a dangerous spot. The cliffs aren't too stable, and there are creeps around.

Oh you're finally done laughing. Yuki says.

Not to mention, two young girls can't spend months together. Living In a tent. Shigure says. No, it's all right! I'm even used to the slugs! Tohru standing up. Yeah it's fine star says, standing up as well. We promise, we have the strength and willpower to see this though! Star and tohru say in unison. So please, just let me-- tohru says but starts to fall over. Ahh tohru! star says, catching her. Miss honda! Yuki says getting up and walking over to them. Yuki puts his hand on her head. She's got a fever. Yuki says. Oh no how did i not realize im such a terrible friend. I'll go grab some ice to help her cool down a little. Shigure says going to the kitchen. But realizes that it's super filthy. Though, getting to it could take a while. The hell who lets their kitchen get that bad. star says in her mind sweat dropping. It's a toxic jungle! Tohru says, looking horrified. Nice analogy! Shigure says pointing and with a closed eye smile. Distant wolf howling

There, see? What did I just tell you? Part of the cliff has crumbled. Shirgure says, putting his hand on his chin. What? It did? But how can you tell? Tohru asks. Yeah, how can you tell. Star says, raising her eyebrow. Hm? Oh I like to call it my animal instinct. Shigure says shrugging. Oh... star and tohru exclam. Enough joking. Do you know exactly what part of the cliff collapsed? Yuki asks, picking up the medic kit. How awful. star says. Surely it was nowhere near our tent, though! Tohru says, smiling. Surely not! Shigure says with a closed eye smile. The three of them start laughing except for yuki. Well? Where is it then? Yuki asks.