Chapter 53 protect them so there smiles won't wither away.

Star sighs. Looking at this view, you can almost feel your worries melting away. Star says with her eyes closed enjoying the wind hitting her face. But then she feels terrible aurora from behind her making her face grow irritated. That jerk. Is he gonna stay the night? Yuki says sitting on the ground. He's your idiot brother. Do somethin' about him. Kyo says with his arms crossed.

Don't you think I would if I could? I hate people who're so dependent

Don't you think I would if I could? I hate people who're so dependent. Yuki says. You're the one piggybacking off of shigure. Sounds like deoendecy's a family trait. Kyo sasses. Shut up. That's none of your business! Don't talk to me about my life! Yuki sasses. I don't wanna talk to you at all.They only reason i'm even lookin' at you is cause you in my space. Kyo shouts. In that case maybe you should leave. Yuki says. Hey, you guys. Star says waving her hands. I wish i could. Trust me. Kyo shouts. Let's calm down. Star says softly. You really think i'd be at the damn lake with you if i had choice? Kyo shouts glaring at yuki. I promise, being here is an exercise in torture for me, too. Yuki shouts glaring at kyo. Star just stares at them with a blank smile.

 Ha! Well, this dumb place-- kyo trails off

Ha! Well, this dumb place-- kyo trails off. Uh. both yuki and kyo say noticing star just standing there listening. It's not that, miss takashi. Yuki tries to explain coming close to her. I just don't like it that he's here. That's the problem. Kyo shouts trying to explain. Right. Huh? Star asks. Uh... yuki and kyo trail off. Kyo looks away with a blush with his cat ears dropping. Yuki stands next to kyo. I mean. Uh, never mind. Yuki says. As long as you understand. Kyo says. Star stares at them then smiles then walks in between them with her hands behind her back watching the lake. Isn't it beautiful? Star says linking her arms with yuki and kyo's. Maybe we should do a lap around the lake so we can see the whole thing. She says smiling at the two. Okay. yuki says. Sure. kyo says.

After the conversation about kana with ayme, shigure, and hatori

All right. No kana. But maybe... you'll find someone else to love. Someone who doesn't bring you pain and sadness. A woman who brings you joy and hope instead. Shigure says. Well said, gure! You're such a poet. Ayame says with a closed eye smile. As a novelist, I take offense at that. Shigure says with a closed eye smile. Someone else to love? That would be a foolish thing to hope for. Better to be grateful for what i had. Cursed as we are, perhaps having a short time with someone like kana is the most we can expect from life. I don't believe I could ask for anything more. Hatori says in his mind as some of his memories of him and kana pop in his mind. Ah. they're back. Shigure says snapping hatori out of his thoughts, making him look at the teens. All I can do is watch over them. (star looks up smiling at kyo as they walk. Yuki smiles at star as he walks beside her. And kyo staring at Star with his hand on his hip walking on the other side of her.)

so they don't make the same mistakes

so they don't make the same mistakes. (star does a closed eye smile,yuki smiles at her, and kyo still just stares at star. As their hair flows softly)

so their smiles don't wither and die

so their smiles don't wither and die. Hatori says in his mind watching them. Yuki! You've returned! Did you have fun with your friends? Ayame says as the three of them stare at him with blank expressions. I am not his friend! Kyo shouts as a cat noise plays in the background. By the way,[kyo: hey!] tori gave me some sound advice regarding our relationship. I shall be more aggressive in my attempts to deepen our brotherly bonds. That is no doubt the best course. Ayame says. Star raises her eyebrow putting her hand on her hips. Or maybe you could just give up instead. Yuki says in his mind. Sorry, but, what do you mean, aggressive? Star asks, sighing. You see, Yuki is my younger brother, and I am his older brother. With that truth in mind, I declare the following: yuki, as i am your relder, you must obey me! Ayame says pointing down at yuki in triumph. All of them go white staring at ayame. A moment go by and yuki gets a dark look in his eye. Not in a million years! Yuki says then punches ayame. Ayame screams. Ayame doesn't get it. Hatori says, sighing Not even a little. Shigure says fanning himself with his fan. He's not the only one, hatori. You still have your whole life ahead of you. Shigure says in his mind looking up at hatori.

At the school

How's it goin', ms. mayu-chan? A girl classmate says. Hey, show your teacher some respect. It's "ms. mayuko the great to you." ms. Mayuko says as she stopped doing her work. Classmate c laughs. Working hard, ms. mayuko the great? It's a holiday. Classmate c says. Yeah, I sure am. And it  blows. Are you here for the club? Ms. Mayuko asks. That's right! Well, see ya, ms mayuko the great. Heh. classmate c laughs. Yeah, yeah. Be careful on the way home. Ms. Mayuko says. Okay! The girls say leaving. Who knows? You might find someone yet. Shigure says as a picture of ms. Mayuko and Kana at her wedding sit on her attendance book.