chapter 17 leaving this house

Grandpa called. He said the renovations are wrapping up. Tohru says. They worked surprisingly fast. Yes. The exterior walls aren't done, but most of the works complete, so it's ready to live in. Grandpa said we could come back, so... a few seconds of silence. no, I'm staying here. I finally got comfortable with being myself around everyone and now you're telling me I have to start over. Star shouts. Star. Tohru says, sighing. Uh! Oh, no! I forgot! We haven't started cooking! Tohru says getting up and grabbing star's arm. But star doesn't put up a fight. We can scrounge something up. Or better yet, why don't we just go out to eat instead? Shigure offers. It'll be fine. Tohru says dragging star to the kitchen. I already have all the ingredients I need. She says closing the door. Tohru starts the tea.

Hey sorry! Sorry we're late! Tohru and star gasp as they see their mothers taking off their shoes. Mom! They both exclaim in unison. I hope work was okay. Dinner will be ready in just a sec--Tohru says to her mom but she cuts her off. Ah! I told you, stay in bed until your fever was gone young lady! Kyoko says. I tried to tell her but of course you know tohru preceded me in the end. Sorry. Star says knocking her head and sticking her tongue out. Ugh! Star your a delinquents daughter and your such a pushover. Star's mom says pointing at star. Yeah i'm sorry mom. And hey i run my own gang and only for tohru am i a pushover! Star said, scratching her head. Oh, no, don't worry! My temperature's already come down a whole lot. Tohru says string the food while star checks the rice cooker. You work so hard for us every day. I can't just do nothing. Tohru says. Yeah mom i feel the same way about you especially when you risk your life for me and you. star says smiling. Both mom's share a glance before giving their girls a hug. Thank you, sweetie. Kyoko says. Thank you my little pride and joy. Akari says. But sometimes, it's okay to be selfish. That's something we all deserve, you know? Kyoko says. Both girls take the advice. Hugging their mom's tighter.

The tea kettle starts whistling.

Huh? Ah! Tohru starts freaking out, turning it off. The burning herself. Tohru. star says, walking over to her. Thanks mom. But I'm okay! I'm sure grandpa's house is looking great now! I can be happy there, too and so can you, right star? Tohru asks. Yeah i'll be fine. Star says smiling. Besides, anything's gotta be better than living in a tent right? Tohru says. right! Star says.

There's some leftover salted fish in the fridge. It'll go bad before too long. You'll probably wanna pick up soy sauce at the store soon. Am I missing something star? tohru asks. Well the garbe day changed recently, so keep that in mind. I think that's it. Star says. Oh... um right. Here, this is my grandfather's address. I'll leave it with you just in case. Tohru says putting a piece of paper on the table. I guess tomorrow's the big day. You both have done so much for us. Thank you. Shigure says. No! Thank you! And I promise, you can trust me. We'll take the Soma family secret to our grave. Tohru says. You'll enjoy being home again, won't you? Shiugure asks. Oh yes. We'll settle back in just fine! Tohru says. Yeah... star mumbled. Well, we should go pack up in our rooms and get ready for moving day. Come on star. Tohru says, grabbing star's hand and dragging her with her. Yeah sure. Star mumbles. I half-expected you to stop them. Shigure says. Why would i? This was always going to be a temporary living arrangement. Yuki says. Rat boy's right. Weird thing isn't them going home. It's that they ever stayed here at all. Kyo says. Of course. And obviously everyone's fine with this development. Shigure says, sighing. Star closed the door to her room. I don't wanna leave this house. I've started to act like myself. And I don't wanna leave.. Yuki or kyo. Or have I just been putting up an act huh mom? Star says having a mini flash back

Oh my gosh it's that girl who's mom is a delinquent. I heard if you go to her house her mom will beat you up. Students say spreading rumors. As star sits in the sand box playing by herself. Hi my name is tohru honda what's yours? Star takashi. star says playing with sand. Wanna be friends? Tohru asks. You're not scared of me. Star asks. Nope you seem nice so no i'm not scared. Tohru says, smiling. Oh um ok then sure lets be friends. Star says smiling back at tohru.

Yeah... i don't need anybody else but tohru. Other than her i'm just a burden to others star mumbles. Picking up her mom's picture.

Mom, can you see me? I'm trying to be myself, I really am but I just can't

Mom, can you see me? I'm trying to be myself, I really am but I just can't. I would run wild again, star says, starting to cry.

 I would run wild again, star says, starting to cry

but what scares me the most is.... it feels like i'm falling and all my memory's in the house pass me by. will i see them again? I don't wanna leave but i'm not putting up a fight. maybe i'm scared that they wouldn't accept me after they found out about my past. maybe it's for the best that i leave. all these thoughts swallow me whole.

 all these thoughts swallow me whole

Um, the place looks great. Thanks for letting us stay. Tohru says. Yeah thanks. star whispers since she's a bit shy. We're glad to have you, kyoko and akari dear. Tohru's grandpa says. Come on, grandpa, that's tohru and star. It should've been obvious. I'm never gonna be able to be my true self anywhere. It makes me think of a rice ball. And rice balls don't belong in a fruits basket. Star says, clenching her bag. Evidently they are gone. Not terribly sentimental as far as goodbyes go. Shigure says as Yuki puts on his shoes and walks to his secret base. Well, that was a clean parting. Even so you left plenty of melancholy in your wake. Goodbye for now. Shigure says, turning around looking at the piece of paper. Yuki keeps walking, hearing stars voice in his head. Really? I love strawberries. Your kindness lights up like a candle. But please, if we forget this, will you be me and tohru's friend again? Yuki stops at his garden looking at it.

Kyo lays on the roof. Also hearing star's voice. I actually really like you! I have always loved the zodiac cat! Especially since my mom is the year of the cat! I can hug you too. And I don't transform. * giggles*. I mean, sure soma is great, but the thing is so are you.

Kyo continues to lay on the roof as the wind gently blows his hair. Yuki continues to stare at his garden, the wind also blowing his hair softly. A freeze frame of them all eating dinner. Kyo and yuki realize something at the same time.