chapter 4

Outside in front of the covered tent.

Wait a sec! Mom's picture is still inside! star and tohru say in unison. They both run to the dirt covered tent. Mom! They both shout jumping on the dirt and digging. You two need to calm down! Yuki says running up to them. But they are still in there tohru says digging. Yeah if we don't dig them out they'll suffocate. Star shouts digging, getting her white work blouse dirty and her face getting dirty. Mom! Star and tohru wimper. I have to get her out. She can't breathe. star and tohru says about to cry. Shigure places both of his hands on tohru and stars hands. They both look up at shigure. Why don't we come back in the morning when there's more light? Shigure asks the two girls who were now covered in dirt. What if something happened to you two? I doubt your mothers would want you to get hurt, right? Shigure asks the two girls. They both stare at him with tears still in their eyes.

Back at the house

I'm sorry. Star and tohru say. It looks like we've lost our home again. Tohru says laying in a futon. While star sat beside her, not going to bed yet and still in her work clothes that are now covered in dirt. That must be tough. Shigure says sitting down in front of star opposite side of tohru. No. I mean I wish it hadn't happened, but we've been through worse. tohru says. Even worse than this? Like what? Shigure says. Like missing the chance to say see you when you get back. Star says, patting tohru's head.

Flashback to when stars mom walks out the door of their house at night. And when tohru's mom walked out the door in the morning.

Star and tohru

Tohru: it was the morning of the day my mom died.

Star: it was the night of the day my mom died.

Back to the present

I'd stayed up almost all night studying for a quiz. Tohru says she was leaving for work, but I couldn't wake up. Tohru explained. And my mom went out because she had to take care of some things. I went to bed early so I wouldn't be so tired for the quiz. Star says looking down at her knees.

Tohru: that was the only morning i didn't say it

Star: That was the only night I didn't say it.

We always said it, except that one time. Lately, I've been thinking about quitting school and getting a job instead but let star keep going to school. But mom told me: I only made it as far as middle school, same with stars mom, you know. But I always wished we'd gotten to try the high school girl thing. So you and star go out there and have those experiences we didn't get to have. She was the best mom, and I didn't get to say goodbye. Tohru says as star quietly sobs. That morning.. I didn't even open my eyes to watch her leave. I'm an idiot. Making a bad grade getting a job. Those things aren't what should've mattered. Mom was. The least I could do now is graduate from high school, like she wanted me to. I have to make that dream come true. I can't just lie here and do nothing because of some fever. Tohru says falling asleep. Star sat there silent then stood up. Went up to yuki taking the spare clothes and going to the bathroom to change. Surprising. They've been so cheerful and upbeat at school. Always especially miss Takahashi since she's the princess. I wouldn't have guessed they've been through so much together. It's amazing, Yuki says. Amazing how so? Well, take me and the somas. I thought I'd broken free of them, but I haven't really. Or I would've brought a tent like miss honda and miss Takahashi. And gone off to some place where they couldn't find me. I'm realizing that I'm spoiled. Yuki says, looking down holding the ice pack. It's pretty rude, you know. Calling their suffering amazing. True. Yuki says, giving shigure the ice pack. Star comes in the room and goes to her futon and turns the opposite way going to sleep. Can you take things from here? Yuki asks shigure. Don't tell me you're planning to dig up the landslide. That's a lot to manage alone. Want to come along? Shigure asks. Alone? I'll have plenty of help, don't worry about me. Yuki says, turning around as his eye glows purple. And the door opens showing rats. See you when you get back, shigure says. As the door closes.