Chapter 45 life is more fun like that, don't you think?

At the restaurant

Go ahead, feel free to order whatever you'd like. I'll be having the gyoza lunch plate. Ayame says, twisting up his hair. Is that a woman? A guy asks walking by them with his girlfriend. I think he's a man...the girlfriend says. Yuki and the others will be fine on their own. They're not helpless children. I promise they can fend for themselves. Ayame says. Yes, but after all they've done... star trails off, then feels Ayame grab her face. I just want to treat you to a meal. Is that too much to ask? Ayame says pulling stars face close makes her whole face blush. Oh, no! Of Course not! I-i mean, it was very generous of you to o-offer. Star says stuttering then nervously chuckling. Indeed.  Excuse me. We'll have two gyoza plates. Ayame says holding up two fingers. Comin' up! The chef says. I'm just along for the ride. Star grumbles in her mind. Honestly, I'm surprised. In all the time i've known him, yuki's never said anything about having a brother. Star says. It's not something he'd be likely to mention. As you can tell, we don't exactly get along. Actually, perhaps it's more accurate to say that we're not close.  There's a ten year difference in our ages, and yuki was a sickly baby. He was kept more or less quarantined from the time he was born.  So, basically, I did as I pleased and barely spared him a thought beyond occasionally remembering I had a brother. Ayame explained. Quarantined? Star questions in her mind. By the time I noticed it, the rift between us had grown deep, with steep cliffs to either side. Too wide to traverse. *turns and looks at star as she stares at him* Yuki seems well. I heard that Akito came to visit your school. Ayame says. Um, yes. Star says. That can't have been easy. I won't tell you the details myself, but to yuki, akito is a source of terror. It's more extreme than fear the rest of us feel. I worried he'd be depressed after their encounter. Honestly, I came to check in on him more than to meet you. But he seems to be doing just fine. Which was, frankly, disappointing. I thought I'd finally have a chance to act like a big brother. Ayame says. Can I ask: do you regret it now, letting the rift grow between you? Star asks. Funny how life works. Things we're oblivious to as children have a way of becoming painfully clear as we age. Things we should've done, words we should've said. Paths we should've taken. If only we had, how different life might be... flashback to when yuki reached out for help from ayame but he pulled his arm away from yuki. What I feel may be less about regret and more about repentance. Perhaps if I atone for my mistakes now, I can let my younger self off the hook. Goodness. We adults sure are arrogant, aren't we? Ayame says. You know, my mom said something once. She only understood how parents felt after she had me and became one. Heh.

But she also said she knew it was important to hang onto her childhood self, no matter how old she got

But she also said she knew it was important to hang onto her childhood self, no matter how old she got. Star's eyes soften. She refused to let herself forget. The first time she did a flip on the jungle gym. The first time she got yelled at. She said if she could always remember how she felt as a child, then even grown up, she could talk to them on a real level. Maybe she couldn't completely understand, but she could still meet them halfway. Star says. And besides, life is more fun like that, don't you think? Akari's voice echoes in stars mind. Wow, that was probably way more than you really wanted to listen to, but basically what i'm trying to say is, you and yuki can meet each other halfway. It's not too late! I'm sorry. Star says looking down at her lap. It's okay, really. That was actually insightful. Ayame says. I know! My mom's the best in the whole world! Star says smiling as she sparkles. No. I was talking about you. Ayame says in her mind. Anyway, I see why yuki seems to be doing so well. And maybe there's still hope for us. I won't know until I try. Ayame says. Here you go. The chef says handing them their food. Our food. Excellent. Well, then, shall we? Ayame asks. Yes, please! Star says smiling. Do something for me. Ayame asks, making star look over at him. Continue being such a good friend to my brother. Ayame says. Star stares at Ayame as her eyes shimmer. For just a second, he seemed different somehow. Star says in her mind.

At the house

Hello, anyone home? Star calls out. Yuki runs out of the living room. Miss takashi. You're back. Yuki says. Yep. Did you three end up finding something to eat? Star asks walking up to yuki. Forget that. Did my brother do anything to you that upset you? Yuki asks. No. he took me to lunch. It was delicious. Star says as Kyo walks down stairs listening to the conversation. Yuki sighs. Hey, yuki. I was wondering. Would you say that you hate your brother? Star asks, tilting her head. Uh. yuki says not answering. Uh, never mind it's really none of my business. I'm sorry. Star says, scratching her cheek. Well, I guess it's more that... i find him difficult. I can never tell what he's thinking, and we're so different. Yuki says, holding his arm. Then those are obstacles we must overcome!  Now is the time for us to meet each other halfway. Slithers out of stars shirt.

Okay, brother? Ayame says winking at yuki then stars laughing while kyo just stares

Okay, brother? Ayame says winking at yuki then stars laughing while kyo just stares. Oh um I'm sorry! But he transformed again right after we left the restaurant, and then he told me that sometimes snakes can die if they get too cold, so... star explains. Yuki starts to shake in anger. And we wouldn't want that. Ayame says making yuki snap. You're no brother of mine, you scum! Yuki shouts. Yuki! Star whines. And ayame laughs. One cannot alter the truth. Ayame says. Oh, hi. When did you two get back? Shigure asks.  Yuki didn't see it, but for a moment at the restaurant, Ayame had the most brotherly expression on his face. Star says in his mind.

The next morning

Alarm beeping

Kyo turns over then notices someone else is in his bed making him wake up noticing ayame. Five more minutes. Ayame says hugging kyo. I'll kill you! Kyo shouts. Star jolts up whining. Hm? Hm? Hm? Star looks around her room.

After getting ready for school and now there eating breakfast

I was left with no other choice. Yuki locked his door and forbid me entry into his room. Ayame explains. Well, Shigure's got a room too, you idiot. Kyo shouts. No, that wouldn't do. He never lets me get a lick of sleep. Ayame says, looking away blushing. Careful now, honey. Think of the kids. Shigure says. Just stop. How much longer are...? Kyo shouts trailing off. Ignore him, ignore him, ignore him. Yuki repeats in his mind. Not to worry. I can sleep in darling star's room tonight. Ayame says, putting his hand on star's shoulder. No way in hell! Star shouts. Go home now! Kyo and Yuki shout in unison. If this keeps up, I don't think the rift between them is going to go away anytime soon.