chapter 24 when spring comes pt1

Hey! I can't find her. She's gone! Kyo shouts. Don't get your whiskers in a knot. She said she was going out to visit a friend. Shigure says. Are you incapable of listening when people talk? Yuki asks. Kyo blushes. Uh. she only went out once other than that she never goes out, so what am i supposed to think?! Kyo shouts. Well, I'd say Kyo's hissy fit has shown us just how much a part of the household star's become.shigure says sipping his tea. He's positively lost without our fair maiden.

At the soma estate

star's outfit and hair

Wow. This place is huge. I came without telling soma and the others just like hatori said I should, but now I wonder if that was such a good idea. Especially since I ran into Akimitsu on the way here. Star hummed. Man he's annoying won't leave me alone. Like we broke up, get over it. Star grumbles in her mind. Star! Hallo! Momiji says startling star out of her thoughts. Star yelps and wals her arms around and running side to side. You're right on time! Momiji says going to open the front gate. Ahh! I'm sorry! You startled me! Star says. The door opens. Huh? Star exclaims looking over at the gate. Come on in. Welcome to the soma estate. Momoiji greets. Thanks. It's really.... Something. Star says. Harry's house is down this way. Momiji says pointing and walking. As star follows behind him. I can't believe how quiet it is. Almost like nobody actually lives here. I guess it's sorta peaceful. But it's also making me nervous! Ahh! This is so sketchy. Star says in her mind. Walking behind momiji. Welcome to my home. hatori says. Star was bowing and panting due to walking so much. I didn't realize the walk here was so arduous. Oh, no it's not. Star says looking up and smiling. Come on in and have a seat. Momiji, bring us something to drink. Hatori says walking to his office. Ja! Momiji says. A drink sounds great, thanks. Star says, still smiling. 

Star walked into hatori office and noticed a picture of a pretty lady. Huh. It's kinda surprising to see a woman's photograph on his desk. He comes off as a really stren person, and something about his voice makes it sound like he's always angry. Star says in her mind. Then she gasps. Uh oh is that why i'm here? Is-is he going to scold me for being hopelessly incompeten? Star says in terror in her mind. star? Momiji calls. She yelps, then turns towards momiji. What's the matter? Do you feel sick? Harry is a doctor. Momiji says. Oh, no! I'm absolutely fine, I swear! Star says waving her hand in a dismissive way, kay. Then why don't we go ahead and sit down? Momiji says. Star sips her tea. Sighing and relaxing a bit. So, um. Are you a doctor at a hospital? Did you have to take time off to meet with me here? Star asks. No. I don't treat anyone outside of the soma clan. I'm the family doctor. Though half of my job is babysitting the head. Constantly getting sick is Akito's specialty. Hatori says. Plus, all of us somas are super busy today, so nobody will stop for an exam. Momiji says hugging a pillow. Huh? Star exclaims. They're getting ready for new year's! It's a big event here for us, so outside people will pitch in to help with the preparations, too, and not just inside ones. Momiji explains. Outside? Inside? Star questions. Yep! See, the members of the main family are on the inside. Remember the tree-lined road? The one that leads to the front gate? We call the residents of that area outside people. I think there are about ein hundert? A hundred of them. There are another 50 living on the inside. And all 150 of us are somas! Momiji explains. Oh jeez. That's a really big family! Star says sweat dropping. The only people who can live inside are zodiac members like us, or people who know our secret. Shii-chan and yuki are gone now, but they used to live here, too. Kyo was outside, though. Momiji explains. I don't know how skilled you are at math, but that means even within the soma family, a full two-thirds aren't aware of the zodiac secret. So perhaps you can see how outrageous it is for a complete stranger like you to know it. Ordinarily, I would have wiped your memory like your friend as soon as you learned about it. But Akito hasn't given me the order to, for whatever reason. Tell me, do you enjoy living at Shigure's house? Hatori says. Star face lights up. Uh, yeah. I do. Love it in fact. I recommend moving out immediately. Hatori says with a cold look. Star gasps looking over at hatori. Stay away from the somas from now on. You seem to think our possessed family is fascinating, maybe even delightful. But it's not. We're monstrous. Loathsome. Cursed. So listen when I tell you: leave before you regret ever associating with the somas. Make no mistake, Akito is trying to use you. Hatori explains. The doorbell rings. Wait here for a moment. Star watches hatori leave, then turns around. Cursed? What did he mean by that? Star wonders in her mind. You should know. Harry is almost entirely blind in his left eye. He used to have a girlfriend. Her name was kana. She was really nice. They were even going to get married. Momiji explains as star looks over at the picture. Then back at momiji. But.. Akito got angry. Mini flashback of Akito hitting hatori with glass and kana running up to hatori. So, so angry. Said they weren't allowed to get married, then lashed out, and injured Harry's eye. But you know what? Harry never blamed akito. As for kana, she blamed herself. She said it was her fault he got hurt. She felt so guilty, she became depressed. Like she'd never be happy again. Finally, Harry decided to erase Kana's memories. He couldn't stand to watch her fall apart anymore. So he took away all the memories she had of them being in love. Kana left the estate. Harry cried when she went. But even then, he didn't blame akito. Momiji explains. Why not? Star growled clenching her fists. Because... that's the curse. Harry doesn't want to see any more people end up like kana. He doesn't want you to get hurt by the curse like she did. Momiji says. Star starts crying, still clenching her fists. Momiji turns around and notices star on the ground crying. Wait, are you crying? Oh, no! Did I make you cry? Star. I'm sorry! Momiji says getting up and walking in front of her holding her solder. It's not that. It's just hatori's so kind to be worried about me. When he really shouldn't I'm no one special. Whatever happens, I'm glad I met all of you. Even if hatori's right, and I'm being used for some reason, I can only feel grateful for it. And I know I'll never regret meeting soma and kyo and shigure. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be who I am now. Star whimpers. And me, too? Momiji says quietly. Huh? Star questions looking up at momiji. Are you glad you met me? Momiji asks. Star sniffles then smiles, grabbing momiji's hand. Of course I am. Star says. Momiji looks up at star and smiles. Don't look so glum, you two. I promise we're not using star.

Star: shigure!

Momiji: shii-chan!

Doc hatori here can be a bit melodramatic. It's a character flaw. Shigure says, looking at hatori. Star stands up. What brought you here? Star asks in a monotone looking at shigure. My gut! Told me to come, star! It's a novelist thing. I have a keen sixth sense. Shigure says, putting her finger on his chin. Or more like he probably heard me and hatori's call yesterday. Star says in her mind. Clearly a lie. You only came to check on the new year's preparations. Hatori says. Ugh. The common folk are so quick to envy geniuses. Tragic, really. Shigure says. As star and momiji just stare at them. Genius? Hatori questions. You'd never guess it but those two are best friends. Momiji says. Honestly, with all the worrying you do, it's a wonder you're not bald yet. I keep telling you akito doesn't mean any harm to star, but you refuse to believe me. And now you've gone and scared the poor girl. What if she actually moves out? Shigure says. Please. It's okay, really. Just knowing you were concerned about me means a lot, thank you. Star says bowing. But I'm going to stay where I am for now. She says still bowing. Very well. Be sure to take this with you. Hatori says putting the camera on stars head. She grabs it before it falls. Hm? Star hums. It's the camera from the culture festival. Haotri says. Why give it to me? Star asks. Our deal. Have you forgotten already? I told you that, if you came here, I would surrender the camera to you. Hatori says. If you don't show up, I trust you know what'll happen. Haotri explains on the phone. That's not what he said at all! Star says in her mind lookin dumbfounded. I guess hatori and shigure are both my way or the highway types of people. She says in her mind. I forgot. I haven't introduced you to akito. Hatori says, looking at star. Stars grip tightened on the camera. Uh. no. It's okay, really. I don't mind. She says in a mad type voice. I was wondering though, you're a member of the zodiac, too, right? Which of the spirits are you? Star asks, smiling at hatori. Shigure starts to laugh. Now that's an excellent question! And the answer's hilarious. Shigure waves. I'll call your publisher and tell them every embarrassing thing you've done since you were four. Hatori says behind shigure with a dark aura. Right. Lips sealed. Shigure says. Raising his hand. I apologize for today. Hatori says turning to star. Huh? Star questions tilting her head to the side looking up at hatori. All I did was make you cry. I'm sorry. Hatori says, looking down at star. I'll stay for a bit. I still need to sneak a peek at the celebration set-up. Shigure says. And I've got a dance rehearsal to get to. Momiji says. Dance? Star asks, tilting her head. Yes, it's sort of like a ritual we perform every new year's. Now, hatori, you behave yourself around young star. She could beat you up if you try something. Shigure warns. Let's go. Hatori says, ignoring shigure and starting to walk towards the exit. Oh uh ok. Star says following behind hatori. Bis bald! Momiji says waving. I'll see you later! Star says waving. Then jogging up to hatori walking by his side. They walk in and kinda uncomfortable silence. Ahhh! This is awkward star says in her mind looking around. Ask him a question she shouts in her mind. So, is it true you're best friends? You and shigure? Star asks. Us? Best friends? Hatori says with a dark gloom surrounding him. Huh? Well, that's what momiji said, b-but maybe he was wrong? Star says freaking out. I'm stuck with him that's all. Hatori says, keeping his eyes forward. Star gasps, staring at hatori as he starts walking ahead of her. Maybe he doesn't wanna talk about shigure. Star says in her mind spacing out. Hey, watch your step. Huh? Oh. star stops walking. Oh man that would have been embarrassing if I fell- uh ahh! Star says as she takes a step to the right then slipping anyway. Hatori gasps, then grabs star before she fell on the steps. Then a puff of purple smoke filled the air. Star sighs. *gasps* Are you okay, hatori? I- uh! Star notices a small little sea horse in the middle of hatori's clothes. Ah! What do I do! Water! Wait what kind of water does he need crap! I have no freaking idea! Star Gathers clothes and hatori. Freshwater or saltwater? Ah! Star shouts running with hatori's clothes and him to find some water. This brings back memories. Star takashi isn't the first person to react this way. Hatori says in his mind.