Chapter 73 You were there when it mattered the most.

Flash back
Why did he offer to take me in all those years ago? Did he pity me? Was he ordered to? I didn't know. Kyo wondered.
Now i may not look it, but i actually run a dojo. You could try it out, if you'd like to. Kazuma said to young kyo. 
So kazuma really did take him in. the poor man shouldn't have to care for that boy just because his father couldn't handle him. Imagine being responsible for such a creature. Two soma women gossiped as they walked by. Kyo stopped till kazuma walked infront of him picking him up surprising kyo. Kazuma lifted kyo up causing kyo to gasp at the scenery then looking down at kazuma. 

Time for a change

Time for a change. From now on, you're going to breath the air of higher places. Sound good? Kazuma asked with a soft smile. Kyo stared back in aw.

Kyo: And things did change

Kyo: And things did change. For the first time, someone showed me the outside world. Helped me find my way.  And stayed by my side.
Hey, you're what they call a "master", aren't you? Young kyo asked kazuma while they took a bath. What? Kazuma asked. I mean, that's what they call karate teachers on tv. That's what you are. A master. Young kyo says. Well... *chuckles* yes, i suppose that's true. Although none of my pupils actually call me by that title. Kazuma says. Young kyo doesn't say anything but blow bubbles in the water while staring at kazuma.

The two of you have shown great improvement

The two of you have shown great improvement. Even you little one. Kazuma says patting a girl around kyo's age with black hair. (This was star when she was younger she took defense classes. The reason kyo didn't recognize her as the girl he used to play with was because her hair was blond then and now it's black.)
Thank you, sensei! The three of them say in unison. Uh, master? Kyo asks from around the conor. Kazuma turns to him. Hello, kyo. Welcome home. Kazuma greets. Kyo smile grows big as his eyes shine. kazuma pats the little girl's shoulder. Uh- welcome home kyo! The little girl with black hair around kyo's age says bowing. H-hello... kyo says with a blush on his face.
Kyo: if only he were my real father. This man who's done so much for me.
Young kyo yells charging at kazuma with a raised fist. But kazuma threw a faint punch casing kyo to stop and stumble, falling on his butt.
Kyo: i wonder what master would think if he knew i felt that way. For all i know, i'm just some pathetic cast-off he took pity on.
Your father is on his way. Or, i guess, i should say foster father. But whatever, you'd think he would've raised you better. A teacher said walking up kyo causing his eyes to widen rembing what those soma lady's said when he was younger. Who'd want to look after the cat child? Maybe there's something wrong with kazuma, too.
Kyo shot up from his chair causing it to fall over. Shut up! He is not my dad, so you just shut the hell up! Middle school kyo shouts.
Kyo: how much more can i ask of him? I've already burdened him enough.
Never act like master's my dad again, you got that?! Middle school kyo shouts while kazuma stood at the door listening.
Kyo: i don't need him to be my father. Not if it's just gonna hurt him.
End of flash back
Kyo looks at his bracelet that was back on his wrist then woke up gasping. Kyo ran downstairs opening the living room door. Kyo, good morning. Shigure says while reading the news paper. Master. Where is he? Kyo asks looking around the living room. Shigure flipped the pages. He went back to the dojo. Shigure says. Huh? Kyo asks. Star is walking him partway. Shigure says. You mean... he left? Kyo asks then took off running out the house. Shigure looks over at yuki who was sitting on the other side.
Kyo ran down the hill trying to catch up with them before it was too late. Why'd you leave without saying anything? We didn't get the chance to talk. I didn't get a chance to thank you.
With kazuma and star
I'll be fine from here. Thank you for the company. Kazuma says at the bridge before it leads to the main road. Okay. But what's the deal, don't you think you should at least say something kyo before you leave? Star asks clenching her fists in anger. Kazuma smiles seeing star still has that same anger she had when she was a kid. What would i say? Star unclenched her fist and looking up at kazuma. You know, when i first took him in... it was a form of atonement for me. Like kyo, my grandfather was possessed by the cat. He was cast out by him immediate family. Spoken of cruelly by his relatives. Treated horribly by everyone. Myself included. I'm ashamed to admit... i only met my grandfather once.
Hi, there. Kazuma's grandfather greeted. Young kazuma yelped. Kazuma, come here. I'll give you a treat. His granfather said holding something in his hand. Kazuma gasped stepping back a bit. No way! I'll be cursed. Kazuma says. His grandfather's hand lowed a bit. But he held a smile. I understand. His grandfather said.
Kazuma: such brutal, thoughtless words.
And yet, instead of rebuking me, he just smiled. And offered me his forgiveness. Years went by. I grew up.  And when i saw the way kyo was treated, the world he lived in, i realized for the first time how foolish we'd all been. How needlessly cruel. Taking him in may have been a self-serving decision initially, a way to relieve the pain of my guilty conscience. Yet, before i knew it... i loved him. Like he was my son. Like i was his real father. When i took his beads, i ignored his wishes, and forced my idea of our relationship onto him. He is not my dad, so you just shut the hell up! Middle school kyo shouts.That's why i don't know what to say to him now. "Good for you. I'm so proud."what right do i have to say that after selfishly putting my feelings before his? It would be arrogant and unfair. Star stared at kazuma listening to his story. Besides, all i did was create the opportunity.

You're the one

You're the one... who saved kyo. You were there when it mattered the most. Thank you. Kazuma said with a closed eye smile. Master kazuma, what you did... i'm not really sure I would call it selfish. I know you think it was, star put her hands over her heart. but the way you talk about kyo, makes me feel so warm inside. Relationships are complicated and confusing sometimes, and i won't pretend to understand yours, but for what it's worth, right now, i think you sound very much like a father. Star says with a softing gaze. Kazuma looked at her shocked by what she said. Master! Kyo shouted from a distance making star and kazuma look at him. Kyo had an angry expriossion on his face while he panted. Oh hey, kyo! Star says happy to see him. Kyo jumped passed star making her gasp as he tried to punch kazuma but he dodged. Star turned around as her hair flowed behind her. You left! You left without telling me! Kyo shouted while kicking and punching kazuma as he dodge his attacks. Why would you do that?! It's like you're running away! Kyo shouts still throwing kicks and punches. Kazuma dodged then smacked kyo. Kazuma gasped not trying to actually hit kyo. Once kyo landed catching himself star stepped up a bit. Kyo! Star calls. Tell me... did you think i was pissed at you? Or maybe... you're just sick of me. I've caused you nothing but trouble. I know that. I was being childish, wanting to run back to the dojo. Using you as a way to hide from the world. I'm sorry. I've messed up so many times,  and i know i've still got a long way to go, but someday... someday i'll be stronger. Strong enough to stand on my own. I promise! I'll stop doing stupid stuff. I won't hurt you or be a burden to you anymore. And when that happens, i'll be worthy of calling you my father! Kyo shouts casuing kazuma to look at him in shock. I'll be that man, someday! Watch me! Kyo shouts throwing a punch but kazuma blocked it with his hand. They stared at each other while star watched them. Kazuma then smiled at kyo. So many times...we've passed each other by. Kazuma held kyo's clenched fist. It's taken us years to get here. But perhaps we've finally managed to connect. And i know why. Kazuma says in his mind then pushs kyo back while star stepped to the side looking kyo on the ground next to her. Damn kyo! You good? Star says trying to hold in a laugh. You're not there yet.  No doubt you'll cause me trouble for years to come, son. Kazuma says causing kyo to blush. Yeah, maybe. But you didn't have to knock me down! Kyo says walking up to kazuma softly punching him. Kazuma patted his hand. You couldn't block a little shove? Looks like someone's getting sloppy. Kazuma says causing kyo to chuckle. Star giggles shaking her head. Star! Kyo called causing star to look at him. You see that just now? Kyo asked. Uh. um, yeah! Star says freaking out a bit. Well? Was i right or what? Master's unstoppable in a fight. Kyo says with a closed eye smile. Star's smile grows. Yes. yes! Yes! Star says jumping towards kyo. You know, one "yes" really woulda been enough. Obviously i'm no match for him. Kyo says. We came together... after all these years... because you were here to show us how. Kazuma says as star and kyo gave each other a closed eye smile.