forty

~Isaiah POV

It's been hours. Time has been ticking and we haven't heard a thing and I've been sitting in this same spot.

Anxious.

Scared.

Pissed.

Any emotion you could think of.

Soon, a doctor approached all of us. "Family of Jessica Campbell." He said making us nod. "We had to work miracles in there but Jessica is a soldier." He said. "Oh my baby." Her mom said with tears of joy. "So everything is fine? She's alive?" I said.

"Alive yes. But I do have some worries." He said. "Worries? What kind of worries?" Her dad asked. "One of the three bullets did graze her spinal cord causing a slight tear. I'm worried about if that graze will affect her function below that point." He said.

"S-So she's paralyzed?" Her mom asked.

"From the surgery, I have hope that she will be okay. But I can't say anything for sure until she gains consciousness and lets me know herself." He said. "Can we see her?" Deja asked. "Yes, you may."

"Let her parents go first." I said. The went away leaving me, Deja and Keaunte in the lobby.

~Jessica POV

"Oh my baby." My mom said crying as she walked into my hospital room. "I'm so glad you're okay honey." My dad added as they both sat down. "How are you feeling though. The doctor said he has some worries."

"I feel fine. My body just feels ... soar, ya know." I said.

"Is Isaiah okay? Did he get hurt too?" I asked changing the moods on both of their faces. "He's fine I guess. We came here to worry about OUR child. Therefore, you need to stay away from him." My mom said. "Stay away from him? For what?"

"Look at you right now Jess. Baby you're in the hospital after being shot three times. And guess who you were with when it happened. This is the same guy that's been in and out of hospitals since you've met. That's not a safe person to be around." My dad said making me shake my head.

"Dad you sound stupid right now." I said. "He wasn't in and out of hospitals because he's "dangerous." He's been in and out of hospitals because he jumped in front of a bullet for Mariah. Because he felt like he had to put himself in harms way to save his aunt's life. And two, he is not the reason I'm in the hospital. I chose to jump in that fight to help him because I know he would do the same for me. Isaiah is my boyfriend, and there is nothing you can do about that."

~Isaiah POV

"Told you she was gone be good." Keaunte said. "She's alive. Not good."

"Man stop taking the negative out of everything. She is GOOD." He said. "Oh no." Deja said making me look up. I felt my body heat up as I seen who she was looking at. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I asked. "Look man. I didn't mean for any of this to happen." Joshua said walking up to me.

"You better back yo ass up." I said getting up. "Hey now." Keaunte said stepping in the middle of us. "I don't want no problems okay. I didn't even send them there with guns. They did that on their own." He said. "You shouldn't have sent them at all. Matter of fact, they said you were laying in the hospital and Im about to send you back."

"Can y'all not do this right now." Deja said. "This fuck nigga is the reason Jessica is here right now. I should kill you." I said. "I didn't come here for this. I just came to see how she was."

"I don't give a fuck what you were trying to do my nigga. Your homeboys shot her. You better watch your fucking back." I said. "Just tell her Im sorry." He said walking off.

"You guys can go see her now." Her parents said walking past us. "You go. Y'all should see each other alone." Deja said. I walked in her room seeing her in bed. "How you feeling?" I asked sitting down on the chair next to the bed. "Okay I guess." She shrugged. "What about you? Did someone check that cut out above your eye?"

"You took three bullets for me. You shouldn't be worried about me right now." I said. "Just so you know. Taking the bullets weren't intentional." She said laughing a little. Silence took over the room before she spoke again.

"What was that about anyway?"

"Remember when I told you I got back at Joshua for what he did to you?" I asked making her nod. "I sent some of my friends to hurt him. I guess they went OD and he got sent to the hospital. He sent his friends to jump me and it got carried away." I sighed. "This is why I didn't want you to know about it in the first place. I knew it would get out of hand."

"And now your parents think It's my fault. Claiming I had you in some "thug" business or some shit." I scoffed. "Yeah, I know. They came in here trying to get me to stay away from you." She said shaking her head.

"Look Jessica, I love you. I do. But I don't want to be the reason to fuck up something that you and your parents have." I said. "No. I don't want to hear that. My mom and dad can not keep you away from me. You are a good person, they're just too blind to see it. It's me and you, not me, you, and my parents. They cant even keep their own relationship together, I'm not letting them mess up mine too."

**Later On**

I woke up from the chair in Jessica's hospital room. "You snore. A lot." She said looking at me. "Shut up. How long was I sleep?" I asked wiping my face. "For like two hours. I tried to wake you up when Keaunte and Deja left but you weren't budging." She said. "You hungry?" I asked. "Yes I am. This hospital food is disgusting." I said. "Imma go scoop some Chick - Fil - A. I'll be back."

~Jessica POV

About ten minutes after Isaiah left, I heard a knock at my door. "Come in." I said. It was Joshua. "You have no business being here." I said sitting up. "I know, I know. I've been waiting outside the hospital all night for Isaiah to leave just so I could get you alone." He said. "Alone?"

"Not like that. I just want to apologize, in person. For this and for what happened at the hotel."

"Apology noted, please leave." I said. "I need you to know that I had nothing to do with this shooting. I need you tell Isaiah that too. I don't want anything else to pop off." He said. "Joshua, this is your fault. If you would have kept your hands to yourself in the first place, none of this would have happened. So you can shiver in your boots somewhere else, I don't care."

**

"I figured you wanted your usual." Isaiah said walking into the room with two bags of food. "You are correct. Thank you." I said taking the bag. "Tell me the TV got some good shit on it. I can't eat without watching something." I said. "I'm going to wash my hands. Good luck with trying to find something good." I said laughing. "I'll find anything besides this bullshit you watching." I said laughing a little.

"Isaiah."

"Alright, my bad. I know you don't like people talking bout your shows and shit." I said shaking my head. "Isaiah." She said calling my name again. "I was just joking my nigga." I said looking at her. She had tears in her eyes and she looked scared. "What? Whats wrong?" I asked. "I can't move." She said. "What you mean?"

"I-I can't move. I can't move my legs."

MAKE SURE TO VOTE ⭐️
MAKE SURE TO COMMENT 💬
MAKE SURE TO ADD TO YOUR LIBRARY 📚

~ashkash2 💋