Chapter 95

Song Yan was operated on for more than ten hours and is finally dragged back from the brink of death. 

When he woke up, it was already several days later.

As soon as he opened his eyes, he saw Xia Lin lying soundly asleep beside his bed. 

Song Yan looked at Xia Lin, repeatedly raised his hand to try to touch his face, but repeatedly took it back.

He just looked at Xia Lin for a long time. His eyes were contradictory and sad.

He never thought that he could recover but even so, he also understood that he had lost the qualification to accompany Xia Lin for a lifetime. The promises he had said endlessly before were now only a joke.

Xia Lin opened his eyes sleepily. He found that Song Yan was awake. 

He immediately woke up, leaned over, and asked, "Song Yan, when did you wake up?"

Song Yan shook his head slowly. He still didn't have the strength to speak. Xia Lin remembered the doctor's request and immediately got up and called the doctor.

Soon, a group of doctors and nurses came in for a physical examination then his parents followed in. 

His mother wiped her tears and said, "Amitabha, God bless you", while his father patted Xia Lin on the shoulder. "My child, you are tired too. Now that Song Yan is awake, you should go to the next room to rest."

However, Xia Lin refused to leave and insisted on waiting for the doctor's examination results. 

After the doctor finished the examination, he said to the family members: "At present, all the indicators are normal. The next step is to oversee the patient's recovery."

Mother Song said eagerly: "How about his leg?" 

Father Song bumped her secretly and signaled her not to discuss this matter in front of Song Yan.

The doctor smiled clearly as if to tell Song Yan: "The condition of the leg is not too bad. If the patient actively cooperates with the treatment, there is still a possibility of recovery." 

Song Yan saw everything with his eyes and he actually understood what the doctor meant. Doctors generally don't tell the truth and it's hard to say how likely this "possibility" is.

After the doctors and nurses left, Song Yan exchanged a few words with his parents then motioned them to go out first. He wanted to say a few words to Xia Lin alone. 

The noisy ward finally became quiet. Xia Lin sat down next to the bed again. 

Because Song Yan was struggling to speak and his voice was low, he leaned forward very cooperatively and asked, "Song Yan, what do you want to say? I'll listen."

Song Yan said: "Xia Lin, you...don't be burdened." 

Xia Lin was slightly startled.

Song Yan continued: "This time I went up the mountain to find someone of my own accord. Even if you didn't mention it first, I would go there. Later, when we encountered a mudslide, it was fortunate that you knew that there was a cave that allowed us to escape. Otherwise, I would have died a long time ago." 

Song Yan took a breath and continued: "So strictly speaking, you have saved my life. You don't owe me anything and you don't need to force yourself to do anything."

Xia Lin opened his mouth, not knowing what he should say. Before he came here, he was actually prepared to stay and take care of him but Song Yan's reaction was completely beyond his expectation.

Song Yan stayed in the Provincial Hospital for a few days. 

After he got out of the dangerous period, the Song family decided to transfer him to the largest hospital in City D where he received long-term clinical treatment. 

Xia Lin originally planned to take advantage of the summer vacation to take care of Song Yan but Song Yan's mother politely refused.

In the Song's opinion, although his relationship with Song Yan is extraordinary, he rushed to City D to take care of Song Yan when he was discharged from the hospital. He took good care of Song Yan while he's still in a coma. If they'd still trouble Xia Lin in the future, Mother Song will really feel sorry.

Xia Lin was afraid that Mother Song would see something else if he still continued to persist so he had to give up and went back to City B alone. 

After the incident occurred in Zilin Village, the original plan for the village branch was also delayed so Xia Lin found a local hospital to continue his summer internship.

Sometimes when he thinks of Song Yan, he would take the initiative to send a WeChat message to ask about the health of the other party. Song Yan's reply is similar every time, only saying that he is actively cooperating with the doctor for treatment so that Xia Lin does not have to worry.

A month later, Song Yan was able to transfer from the hospital bed to a wheelchair with the support of others. His body recovered fairly well, except for that leg.

His leg was not broken to the point of being amputated and was barely intact. The doctor told him that the next rehabilitation treatment would be a very slow process. It may take three, five, or even ten years. It's hard to draw conclusions.

When Mother Song heard this result, she didn't know how many tears she wiped but Song Yan's expression was calm, as if he had already expected the result.

At the same time, he gradually became silent. Unless he needs to, he rarely takes the initiative to communicate with people. 

He often sits alone, frowning and them not knowing what he is thinking. Sometimes he asks people for pen and paper and writes or draws while thinking.

The Song family thought that he was passing the time by painting and diverting his attention. 

After consulting a psychologist, he thought it was a good choice. They bought him a lot of books on painting, which made Song Yan embarrassed.

On the present day, Song Yan called his assistant and handed him a sketch paper. The assistant took a look and found that Song Yan's painting skills are very average but he can basically tell what he wants to express.

The drawing on the paper is a young man wearing a white shirt, as if holding a child on his left arm, and making a "push" gesture with the palm of his other hand facing outward. The heavy rain poured down but it avoided the area where the young man was standing.

The assistant looked at it for a long time, raised his head, and looked at Song Yan puzzled: "Master, what is this?"

"Go to the village chief of Zilin Village to find out," Song Yan said, "Ask who was the one who retrieved the missing child? Does he look similar to the person in this painting?"

Although the assistant didn't understand Song Yan's intention, he didn't ask much, but asked for more instructions: "Is a secret investigation needed?"

Song Yan squinted his eyes and shook his head then said, "No need."