Chapter nine

Flashback~
Inori's mother's pov~

I sighed, pressing slightly more on the accelerator. 
"Are you sure about this?"
I quickly glanced at the passenger on my right. "Why not? It'll be fun."
They shrugged. I pulled up at a set of traffic lights, anxiously waiting our turn. I glanced around behind me at baby Inori. She looks so peaceful, sleeping like that, drooling a little. I smiled to myself. She's barely six months old, and already she takes after her dad.
"Are you sure this park is really going to be fine? What if a duck swoops her and she gets a serious head injury. That's it, we're going home." The panic was very clearly rising in his voice, and I couldn't help but laugh.
The light turned green and I rolled forward, slowly getting up to the speed limit again. I faced him, the nervous wreck. He worries far too much; its just a park. "Dear. I'm not saying you're overreacting, but I've never heard of killer ducks."
We near another intersection and I continue straight through, glancing back at Inori. Still sleeping. I wonder how she manages to always sleep through her father's panics sometimes.
"Minora the road!-" He screamed, lunging towards the steering wheel.
Before I could whip around, a huge bang rang out through the car. I felt us being pushed, and my arms were flung high into the air without my consent. A piece of a telephone pole burst through the front windscreen, flying straight between my eyes..

*Later*
In hospital~
Doctor's pov~ 

I looked down in horror at the body of the mother. Well, what was left of her..
The telephone pole had crushed the entire structure of her face and skull. The top half of her face lay on a stainless silver platter behind her body.
That road. They need to put more warning signs, or even better, shut it down altogether. This is the fourth family crash there this month. This one was definitely the worst one yet.
I wasn't at the scene myself but I heard it was pretty bad. The car was hit on a T-bone angle, and rolled into oncoming traffic.
I looked at the body to my right, of the father. He was badly burnt, to the point that recognition was impossible. His hair was singed off almost everywhere, and one of his hands had been entirely burnt off. Deep and dark purple bruises covered his neck, as more burns stretched from his eyes, down the rest of his face, down his stomach, finally stopping at his knees.
I forced myself to look away. I walked towards the infant. 
I burst into tears, watching such a weak being fight for life from such an unfair event. Twelve years ago, it was my own daughter that was lying where this girl is now.. she didn't make it..
The nurse cleared her throat, interrupting me. I glanced at her, seeing concern etched upon her face. I shook my head dismissively, wiping away my tears. She left, taking the awkward tension in the air with her. I called out to her.
"Ms. Suan.. please get someone to take away these bodies from here. The dead do not belong with the living."
"But sir, that child will soon be-"
"Enough. Do as I asked."
She scowled, but nodded and left. I sat beside the small child, watching their chest, barely bigger than the palm of my hand, slowly rise and fall. She's very small for a girl her age.
She also had been burnt pretty badly. One of her legs was almost unsalvageable. And a blow to the head by a book in the car has left her with permanent brain damage. It was highly likely she would not open those small eyes again, she would simply drift off into death's open welcoming arms in her sleep.
I stood suddenly, seeing the burn on her leg start to disappear.
"What.."
Before I could finish speaking, the burn was gone and the dent stained with her blood into her skull had been removed. She woke up, looking at me with big innocent eyes. A small smile sprung onto her face and I screamed.