Chapter thirty-one

Jungkook pov~

I smiled to myself, looking down beside me at the sleeping Inori.

She said she loved me.

The mere thought of her words sent butterflies right back into my stomach and shy shivers down my back. I'd never been in love before, never liked anyone before until her.

I was getting slightly worried that she didn't reciprocate my feelings, after all how could a monster like a vampire admit they loved a mortal? It didn't take a person with a very high IQ to figure out that sooner or later it would not work out. I wrapped my arms around her, holding her tighter, breathing in the smell of her. Not her scent, not what she tastes like. I just breathed in what she smelt like, as a person. It was almost as sweet and beautiful as her smile.

She whimpered beneath me and I frowned, observing her. Her hands gripped onto the sheets tighter as a silent frown crept onto her face.

The feeling of guilt set in.

She didn't have to help me. I knew she was still scared of what I was, no matter how much she tried to hide it. It was obvious; the way she would pause when we kissed before she'd give in, swirling her tongue against my teeth, the way she'd flinch at the slightest noise when it was generally quiet, the way she avoided being around the others by herself like the plague.

Before I could continue in my thoughts, she screamed in her sleep, slight tears escaping her eyes. I yelled out her name, shaking her awake. She sobbed, clinging onto me as I brushed away some of her tears.

"Bad dream?"

She sniffled. "Chains.."

"Chains?"

She paused before shaking her head, trembling in my hold. "Don't worry.."

I nodded, resting my chin on the top of her head, rocking slightly with her, trying to reassure her any way I could. Her grip on my shirt intensified and I could sense her fear, her despair, her helplessness.

"Jungkook.. what if something happens to me someday?"

Her words scared me and I stiffened, breath hitching in my throat. "It won't."

"But what if-"

"I promise that there is not a single thing in this world that I can't, or won't, protect you from."

She paused again, taking in my words. I meant them. I would keep her safe.

Finally, she nodded, loosening her death grip on my shirt.

"Hey," I kissed her forehead, cupping her face. "Have dinner with us."

"Really?" She glanced around my room nervously.

"Really. You live here now, you should do more stuff with the others."

The fear built up in her again and I reassured her. "They won't hurt you, Inori. And I'll be there the entire time. So don't be nervous, okay..?"

"I don't want to intrude.."

"You wouldn't be. Please?" I held her hand lightly, looking into her eyes. After a few moments, she smiled for a second, holding onto my hand tightly with a brave nod.

I grinned, pulling her in for more cuddles until she felt better and more at ease. It's only dinner, after all. What's the worst that could possibly happen?

Inori pov~

I sat down nervously at the table. Taehyung sat on my right, and Jimin on my left. I glanced at Jungkook, sitting across from me. He smiled reassuringly, and I forced a smile back.