Chapter twenty-eight

Jungkook pov~

It's been two hours since Inori ran away from me. I sobbed helplessly, brushing my tears away quickly with a cold hand. I'd scared her. She loathed this monster that I've become. How could I have let her get so close to a monster like me?

I hate what I am. I punched the wall in frustration, making a few pictures fall and shatter. Glass spread all over the floor but I didn't care.

"Woah just calm down." Jimin stood, holding his hands out carefully. "It'll be fine."

"It is not fine!" I collapsed to the floor, bring my knees to my chest, rocking slightly, sobbing uncontrollably. "The l-last thing I wanted was to h-hurt her.."

He sighed, sitting beside me. "You can wish you were human all you like, but if you were you wouldn't have ever met her."

I sniffled, staying quiet. What he was saying was true, yet the knife of guilt still stuck deep into my gut. She was scared of me, and now she'd lost all trust for me. I sighed to myself, wiping away more tears. I knew I'd have to go after her, no matter how terrified she was. She's not safe out on her own.

I stood quickly, shoving off Jimin as he tried to hug me. Now, I ran out of the house, the snow whipping against my face. My lips trembled as the tear tracks on my face started to dry, and I ran as fast as I could, following her scent. It lead into the woods..

And there I saw her, curled up in a ball at the base of a tree next to the frozen-over lake. I walked up to her slowly, panting from running so much.

"Inori..?"

She stiffened, hiding herself even closer to the tree, a light sob escaping her lips. I sighed to myself, sitting down beside her, fidgeting nervously.

"What are you?" She turned to face me, pale and shaking with red eyes.

"A vampire."

"That doesn't tell me anything."

I looked straight ahead, over the frozen lake. It looked so eerily beautiful, and she looked all the more beautiful here. I gripped down at the snow tightly, feeling it crunch around my fingers. "I crave blood like it's your equivalent of every meal."

She stiffened even further, curling in more on herself.

"I brought something for you."

She turned, facing me with fearful eyes. I pulled out a small blade from my pocket, handing it to her gingerly, observing her confused expression. "What..?"

"Just in case someone ever tries to hurt you.." I forced myself to look away, my eyes welling with tears again. Why is it so hard to talk to her? All I wanted to do was comfort her but if I reached out, she'd become more scared of me than ever. I saw her gulp out of the corner of my eye.

"I don't want to go back to school.."

I glanced at her for a moment, filled with hopelessness. The emotion was starting to make her voice choke as she spoke. "Why's that?"

A small sob came from her lips. Wide-eyed, I inched closer, trying to comfort her but unsure how to. "They're shipping Daria's body back to her family today.." I nodded gravely in understanding. She started to sob again.

"Did you know that I never liked school?" She forced a bitter laugh, refusing to look at me as my eyes pierced into her. "She enjoyed it so much though.. so I studied hard so we could be in the same classes. I didn't want to have to be alone.." She glanced over at the river once again, full of sadness, her eyes leaking silently once again. "She was so supportive. She always encouraged me to do better, she'd always help me study when I got stuck. She even tried to get me into sports."