Chapter fifty-six

Inori pov~

Heartache and torment never properly heal.

They killed my sister. They destroyed her, and it didn't matter if I was right there, they still did it and she was gone.

I've never felt this truly alone ever before.

"Come on, get up."

Fuck me.

"You're absolutely fine, just get up."

No I am not 'absolutely fine'. My body is on fire and the air is smothering me, rubbing salt into every wound.

I groaned feebly, and the person shook me again. "Inori, please."

His voice cracked and his hand stilled for a second. "Please, I need your help."

"Don't touch me..," I muttered, trying to squeeze my fingers, hoping that would lessen the pain. My entire right hand felt weird; it hurt but at the same time it felt numb, and my wrist seared as if it was broken.

I looked up at Taehyung, the white-haired boy that had shaken me awake.

Then the anger burned for real in my blood.

"How dare you!" I glared up at the confused boy, and he merely frowned as I scrunched every bit of skin on his arm I could get to. "Where is my sister!?"

He stared at me level headed, clearly unbothered by any damage I was inflicting on him. "She was going to kill you, Inori. And all of us."

"That doesn't mean you can kill her." I sobbed, giving up on attacking him.

"She was never a real sister to you. She healed the enemy."

"Why do you always ignore everything good she's done, and focus on the bad? She healed me, and Jungkook, after those fuckers tried to kill us!"

"But yet, she never tried to find you." He spoke quietly, not having blinked once. "Yes, she helped you that day. But she was a full and independent demon long before that, and she never did anything to find you. She could have saved your friend Daria, but it was her that plunged her life out completely and dumped her body in the woods."

My entire mind froze. Umai killed Daria?

"How long have you known that?"

He sighed, standing up to lean against the wall, the white of his hair ever so slowly turning a darker colour. "Ever since your sister came here. No one told you because we knew how much it meant to you, not being alone. We only slayed her to keep you safe."

My throat constricted. "Why me? Why all this for me?"

"You're bonded to Jungkook. He wants to marry you."

He offered his hand out, and I accepted it, letting him pull me up, my body rigid. He pulled me in for an awkward hug, and I appreciated the gesture, I was just too shocked to do anything.

"Inori, they're hurt. I need you to help me move them and dress their burns."

Panic rose in my gut. "Are they going to die?"