Chapter forty-seven

Jungkook pov~

"No."
I sobbed it over and over, holding her frail form in a tight embrace. Her eyes were long shut and now her breathing was fading, slowly unravelling into nothing.
"No!"
I screamed and shook her, making more and more of her blood stain the snow beneath us, the knives digging into her front. I pulled in a shaky breath, wrapping my hand around one lodged in her lower ribcage. If I left it in, it would continue to cause damage. If I pulled it out, she could die of blood loss. I imagined her scream when I pulled it out and heavier sobs came; I couldn't listen to her like that. I clung onto her, holding her as close to me as possible, the gaping holes in my back glazing over.
This is all my fault.
I'd let her come here with me. I shouldn't have left the house. They wanted me, not her. I didn't protect her well enough.
My eyes shot around the park, over every branch, every patch of snow, searching for confirmation whether they really left or if they're just hiding and watching the show. I couldn't detect anyone so I let out a sigh of relief, a small flicker of hope lighting inside my freezing soul like a flame.
Bringing my hand over a separate knife lodged just under her left collarbone, I sucked in another numbing breath, the ice seeping into my very lungs. I leaned down, pressing my lips to the wound as soon as I ripped the knife out. The sound it made was sickening, and the pained cry that left her mouth made my stomach twist and churn. I concentrated hard on healing this one wound while she sobbed. My mouth became splattered with her blood and it slowly healed as the healing of my own injuries ceased. The painful sting returned but I ignored it; it was more important that she was healed right now.
She choked and coughed something that somewhat resembled my name and I jumped to her side, holding tightly onto her pale freezing hand. She didn't have to speak, her breathing accelerated and I could see the pain and fear in her eyes. I stole a glance at the three remaining blades dug deeply into her and she let out a weak sound. I nodded once, kissing her forehead in a silent attempt to tell her that she was going to be okay, that everything was going to be fine, that I wouldn't leave her. Her hand dropped from my hold and a surge of panic raced through me. I moved back down, dropping one blood-covered knife into the snow by her side and it clattered on top of the four I'd pulled out of myself. I moved my hand over another almost in her side, readying to pull it out.
Inori screamed and kicked her legs and I begged her to stay still, trying to keep her from bleeding out which she was becoming dangerously close to. She weakened instantly and I pushed my lips into the wound, hard, trying to make it heal. It took every ounce of my remaining strength to heal this one. I collapsed next to her as her breathing died down again and her eyes fluttered shut into a deep sleep I was terrified she would never wake up from.
My mind flew into a war on its' own. I held her hand tightly, bringing her wrist slowly up to my mouth. Sobs wracked my body, I could hardly keep myself still beside her. Letting my fangs grow, I pressed them over her skin, biting down harsh enough to shatter the bone structure in her wrist. The blood of hers that met my lips was cold and slow and I pulled off instantly, refusing to bring her any closer to the edge of death than she already is.
I tried to call out to Hoseok or Jin or even Jimin but it wasn't working, I was too weak to establish a stable mental connection. I wrapped my arms around her, feeling close to fainting and guilty as hell. She was absolutely freezing, barely breathing at all anymore and all I could do was sob. Maybe there's nothing I can do to keep her safe at all anymore. Maybe this was better, to go with her at least. I didn't want her to be alone.
"Do you always give up this easily?"
A cold voice interrupted my thoughts. I snapped my head in the direction of the strange voice, my eyes narrowing into judging squints. Standing right there, in the snow, was a girl with fiery red eyes, the perfect shade to match her hair and lipstick.
I hovered over Inori's weak form protectively, although my limbs trembled as if they were about to give out from the effort of just staying upright. "Who are you?"
She gave me a wicked half-smile before stepping closer. "My name is Umai. It's nice to finally meet you Jungkook. I can see you're quite fond of my sister already." Her eyes darted from me to her dying body, her breath only sounding as occasional ragged freezing gasps.
I practically choked, from shock or my own injuries throbbing again I couldn't tell. "Sorry, what?"
She pursed her lips and crouched down, moving her hand from her hip to my navel, travelling up my chest until she reached my cheek. "Really, though. Giving up this easily? Where's your hope for fuck's sake." She mumbled, getting closer to my lips. I cringed away; her hand was burning me, like the heat of fresh candle wax.
"S-stop." I stammered it out, slightly scared of what she could do. Is she here to sleep with me or kill me and Inori? What if she's a scout from them?
"I'm not here to fuck you." She spoke in a breathy sigh, finally detaching her hand from the side of my scorched face. She reached behind me, touching Inori's arm. I lunged, to pull her away while screaming incoherent words, beyond scared what she could do to my girlfriend. She hissed at me and slapped my hands away, a surge of fire moving through my system. I choked, falling into the snow. By the time I got up, I could see Inori's healed wounds, her chest rising and falling in a healthy pattern. I let out my breath, watching Umai as she now approached me, shoving me onto my front with her foot as she tutted at the semi-healed wounds on my back.
"You'll both live so stop panicking."
And with that, she pressed her palm to a hole in my lower back, warmth shooting through my body strong enough to turn my vision white and my limbs useless as I fell into unconsciousness, blindly reaching my hand towards Inori's seemingly peaceful form, entwining my fingers with her freezing ones in yet another silent promise.