Chapter eleven

Flashback~
Unknown pov~

I gasped, clutching the deep stab wound in my side. I forced my own hand to cover my mouth, to stifle my cries as more dark blood spurted out of the wound.
That bitch. I’ll kill him for hurting me like this.
Another jolt of pain rocked my figure, but I stayed as still as I could manage.
A small smirk sprung onto my face. Lucky Jin made me take that anecdote, they would have found me by my scent by now if I hadn’t. I looked down at the small child, still asleep, snuggled into my arm. I frowned. Can’t she feel fear? Is she unaware her life is about to be completely different. I sighed mentally. The future she’d have now is far better than what they’d do with her.
A child weapon, huh? How stupid.
Surely they knew they’d fail. You can’t use an innocent like this. You can’t dump so much responsibility on an infant.
I resisted the strong urge to cough, looking down at the gaping hole in my side. I almost fainted at the sight of it. I don’t know how much longer I could keep running with an injury like this. I grit my teeth. It was worth it, even if I died in the end. I got to save her.
I buried the part of me that wanted to cry and scream deep inside myself, pulling my hood back over my eyes, and ran out of the street. We were close to be safe, surely. Breathing heavily, I held the child with both my arms, ignoring the ever growing pain from my side. Groaning, silently, I closed my eyes, running blindly in the direction I was instructed to go once I had her. And soon enough, I arrived at the meeting place. I dropped to my knees, still holding her close. A pair of familiar hands pulled her gently from my grasp. I let him have her, and I fell face forward into the dirty road.
“You got her..”
I nodded blindly, barely able to breathe, the hole in my side overpowering my will to stay conscious.
“Oi Jin..” I opened my eyes, forcing myself to look at him. “If anything happens to her, if they get her again, I’ll kill you.”
He smiled weakly, and for a moment I saw the happiness inside him that never used to be so well hidden. Times had changed since that time a long ago. Now, he never let it show when he was happy, and I hated that. He should be happy much more often than he allows himself to be.
I groaned, coughing up blood, trying to make the pain stop. He bent down to me slowly, touching over my wound gently. I cried out, shaking beneath his fingers.
He choked. “I don’t think it can heal, even with my help.”
I nodded, a dull ache taking over my ability to think straight. He bit onto his lip tightly, bracing.
“Then end it.”
He nodded stiffly, small tears running down his face. It didn’t matter how close we were, how long we’ve known each other, if I saw Jin in pain beyond repair I’d end it quickly for him, and I expect him to do the same.
He brings his hand shakily up to my throat. I shudder one last time, remembering what I did this for. A split second of pain consumes me and I black out, knowing I won’t open my eyes ever again.

Flashback~
Jin pov~

I held her close in my arms. Still sleeping..
A small sob escapes my lips. I’m tired of having to hurt people, having to kill them. Is there no end to the amount of pain in this world? Now Kidoh is gone. He gave his life for this child, he pushed everything aside for the chance that she might have a better fate. A smile glances across my face. He was such a smartass, always first to interrupt if he had a piece of updated news. If he wasn’t that way, he wouldn’t have cared enough to save this infant.
I continued walking down the long hallway, not a moment later did I find what I came here for. A couple stood at the end, holding hands, whispering things to each other. I cleared my throat as I approached them. The woman looked up in surprise.
“This is her..?”
I nodded, handing the small child to her. Her husband looked at her worriedly.
“Morana.. are you sure?”
She nodded briskly.
And with that I walked off, unable to stand being there any longer. She was going to a good family, one that would actually care for her. They were both protectors – human, though. She would be safe with them. What’s the worst that could happen?