Chapter forty-four

Jungkook pov~

I held onto her motionless hand tightly, feeling the blood move in her veins, her pulse dull and sleepy. I blinked slowly in my own sleepiness. How long is it now that she's been asleep for? A week? Two weeks? I can't even remember anymore.

I sniffled to myself, feeling more miserable than ever. At first I'd clung onto the hope that she would wake up, bright eyed and lovely as ever, but that hope quickly faded. I was scared for her, and everyone else here, and now that she wouldn't ever wake up again.

A sob passed my lips as I pressed my forehead to hers for about the hundredth time, begging her to wake up.

I need you, Inori..

She stirred under my hold and I watched her with wide eyes. She groaned, finally opening her eyes, those eyes I never thought I would see again. I squealed her name and pulled her into a hug before I could think. She cried out in pain and I loosened my hold, lying her back down gently as she sobbed. Her muscles have faded, she's become brittle and breakable, how could I forget that..

"Is there anything you need? Anything?" My words came out blurred and panicked as I watched her every move. She shook her head and I took her hand in mine once again, watching her sob even more.

"Why are you crying..?"

"I-I missed you.."

My grip intensified until the point tears sprung her eyes again from my hold. "It's okay for now, you're free."

She sniffled, bringing my arm to her side slowly. "Free?"

I nodded quickly, bringing my lips down to hers for a split second, tasting exactly how weak she was right now. "I separated the ice from you. You're safe now, you're normal."

"Don't leave me."

I did exactly what she asked. I huddled up beside her, holding her hand tightly as I pecked her lips over and over with the sweetest kisses I could conjure. It didn't matter how much she nodded in understanding, I would not stop telling her she's safe until she fell in a peaceful sleep in my arms.

Inori pov~

I shuddered and pulled the blanket closer, letting go of a small sneeze from the cold. Finally, after a week of intense therapy, I can walk on my own again. I tiptoed out of bed, leaving Jungkook sleep for a little while longer. I glanced over at the clock on the far edge of the room.

Ugh. Why am I up at five in the morning? The sun hasn't even started to rise yet.

"Babe," Jungkook groaned and I froze. "Come back to bed."

I grinned, sitting on the edge of the bed to put my slippers on. "Why are you awake?"

He shrugged, nestling further under the blankets. "I heard you get up. Come back? Please?"

With a giggle I faced him, jumping forward to kiss the pout on his face, already kicking my slippers off for an opportunity with him I'd never miss for anything. He positioned the blankets back over me and I sneezed once again.

"Why were you up so early?" His arm draped over me gently and I shrugged, already closing my eyes again. His other arm snaked around my waist, pulling me all the way until I was on him. I grinned and stroked his cheeks gently, pure happiness welling up inside me just at the sight of his smile. I shifted so I was straddling his waist, bringing a whole new expression onto his face.