Chapter thirteen

Jungkook pov~

I breathed heavily, watching her sleep soundly. My eyes wandered slowly down her figure; looking at the marks on her neck, her deeply bruised collarbone, both of her damaged wrists, before finally looking at her ankle. I cringed at the very sight of the un-cleanly snapped bone poking through her soft flesh. I licked my lips.
I saw what they’d done to her, those vermin. I saw what her father does to her every time before she wakes. And surely, right in front of my eyes, her wounds started healing themselves. I grit my teeth in anger. How could anyone be that cold-hearted? Causing her unimaginable pain every single day just to make her believe she’s human?
I choked, the scent of her rich blood finally disturbing all my senses. I’ve always hated being like this, being unable to look at someone weak and injured and bleeding without getting excited and wanting to extinguish their life.
A voice in my mind prodded at me over and over, and I felt my fangs grow. I clutched my throat in desperation, stumbling towards her.
Please don’t be afraid of me.. please don’t hate me for this..
My vision clouded deep red and blurred just as I clung to her neck, forcing my fangs into a clean untouched place. I moaned, the familiar taste of her blood filling every inch of my being. I felt my hands slide into her hair, gripping onto it, praying it would make her blood flow into my mouth faster. She gasped as she woke up, opening her mouth silently in pain. I ignored the way she gripped onto my shirt and twisted beneath me, more and more tears escaping her eyes. I moaned again, digging my fangs deeper into her neck, no longer able to keep my breathing regular. The urge was too much to try to suppress anymore, and I let myself lose all control, sucking harsher at her neck. She whimpered in pain, the colour quickly draining from her skin. I felt her tremble, and then the realization hit me; I was going to kill her.
Something within me screamed and I found the will to let go. My vision still tainted red, I looked at her with worry. Her eyes were frozen open, the fear still evident on her face. I sobbed in shock, waiting for her to heal. I stayed there, by her side, for so long I lost track. She did not heal, she did not move.
“Wake up!” My eyes shot open, feeling someone screaming and shaking me awake roughly. Breathless, I looked up and saw Jimin looking down at me with concerned eyes.
He frowned. “You were screaming.”
I nodded, still gasping for air, beads of sweat running off my forehead. “Sorry.. just a bad dream..”
He frowned at me questioningly. “I never knew you had dreams that bad.”
I shook my head. “Not usually..” I wiped some of the sweat off my forehead with the sleeve of my long white shirt, before realising that the sleeve was just as soaked as every other inch of my body, clinging to my skin and almost entirely transparent. I sighed shakily, sitting up in my bed.
“I should go shower..” I stood slowly. Taking the cue, Jimin nodded and left my room. I took off my soaked shirt slowly, deep in thought about the dream.
They wanted me to know that her father gives her the same injuries over and over before she wakes up. They wanted me to think I’d killed her. They wanted me to know that it was still far too easy for her to die.

Flashback~
Unknown pov~

I walked down the corridor slowly, ignoring all the eyes that peeled on me mysteriously. I turned left, climbed a flight of stairs, unbothered by the single squeaks that came from my shoes with each stair. I walked into the ward they’d left her in. The doctor looked at me questioningly.
“May I help you?”
I nodded. “I’m looking for Inori. The agency sent me to pick her up.”
He nodded quickly and walked me over to where she is. I looked down at her, asleep in a small hospital cot. I frowned. She doesn’t look like what they described.
The doctor mumbled some nonsense but I ignored him. I stayed, studying her face for a long while. Eventually, he left. I picked up the small child.
Really now? I have to raise this? I scoffed. That agency expects too much of me. I wasn’t built for changing nappies, I was built for fighting.
That vampire, Jin. He’ll come for her.
A sly grin sprung onto my face. He wouldn’t be able to resist; he’d come looking for her, trying to claim her again. And on that day, I’ll be ready. I glanced down at the one plastic leg I have, starting from the knee.
When he comes, I’ll take back what he owes me.