Chapter 29🍋

Location: Sardegna Empire, guest room

Nightmare

Fire.

Buildings around Courier were ablaze, the ungodly heat tingling his skin as it flickered and roared. Thick walls of smoke blended in with the night sky, drifting up in lazy columns and blotting out the stars and moon, obscuring the world from his own personal hell.

Courier tries to move but he couldn't. His arms felt too heavy, his hands sticky with half-dried blood. His legs refused to move, trapped beneath his own weight. What remained of his rigging was scattered around him in bent chunks, his gun torn in half and his landing deck shattered into a thousand pieces.

"Why?"

Courier hears a voice, but it sounds familiar causing him to flinch.

A group of shadowed figures were illuminated by the raging flames behind them, slowly approaching Courier. Figures he had ever met on the battlefield before, but had never been able to get out her mind since. Not least because they have familiar armaments, the familiar riggings – familiar faces.

His former friends and brothers in arms.

'Oceanic': Courier... why did you fail us?

The former light cruiser 'Oceanic' told Courier in a voice lacking any emotion.

'Wanderer': Where were you when we needed you? 

The battleship 'Wanderer' ask, lacking emotion as well.

Courier: It was inevitable. We couldn't stop it!

Appearing next to Wanderer was the heavy cruiser Poseidon, his armor ruined with a massive hole through his stomach.

'Poseidon': You were selfish!

Courier: No! 

'Striker': You abandoned us!

Soon the rest of the Vanguard fleet appears in their ghostly form. 

'Vanguard Fleet': You FAILED us!

Courier then felt a high pitch ringing in his head, causing him to shut his eyes and holds his head in pain. 

'Eden': Ты знаешь...(Do you know.)

As Courier reopens his eyes, his gaze magnetically drawn back to his former friends – and his heart stopped at the sight. 

'Pioneer': Ẁ̵̢͇͍̬̎̂́̍̾̚͝ḩ̶̛̥̹͔̝̖̦̻̅́́͆͜ͅa̷̧͈͔̪̟̦̺̤̔͆̉̐̒̌́̒̈́̾́̈́̚͝ͅt̶̢̡̧̨̞̪̭̘̤̗̱̦͉̳̂͋ ̴̨̧̛̯̝͚̬̭̱̦̈́̍̿͒̆̆͘w̸͚̝͈̠̥͉͕̖͌̋̎̒̋͑͗̂̎ḙ̶̲̤̤̭͉͇̞̰̣̩̳̯̟͛͛̉͒̉̉͗̀̄͘ ̶̢͇̘̳͗͒̀͋̏̑͒̏̒͌͘h̷̨̢̹̜̣̭̮͖̤̱̩̝̫͋̀̂̀̅̔͆͌̚ã̷̖̪͕͇̣̻̬̭̤͓̤̌͂͋͒̓̋̃̒͗̚̕͜v̸̡̨̛͎̠̬̠̯̯̯̰̣ȩ̴̙̞̮͚̊͘ ̷̙̝͍͇̯͚̺̝̐͐̒̀b̶̧̖̟̩͕̤͍̗̜͖̳̰͖̻̓̓̒͗͑͘e̵͓͉̩̠͈͓̰̿̍̅̈́̿̍̌͠c̸̩̝͙̳̺͇̥̬̬̱̃̈́̌͛̒̀̔̃͌̕͝o̸̥̙̒̈́m̷̢͔̹̹͙̼̽͑͗̈͘ḛ̴̼̥͌̑̈́̐̓̈́̊̆̓̓͑́̌͝͝?̵̙̘̬͉̪̙̭̩̫̯͐̑̏͝͝ ̶̡̢̣̰́̔̈́̅̋

His friends, now in pale skin with black veins coursing through their skin, their appearance almost to that of his enemies.  

Courier: N-No...

Courier tried to shake his head but couldn't; his gaze refusing to leave the changed appearance of his former friends. 

Courier: T-This... This has to be... a illusion...