Chapter 39: One Courier to another

Location: The Realm, Unknown

Courier: WHAT!?

The reveal only shock and confuse Courier more as he tries to hold himself together.

Courier: But our friends! The afterlife I experienced! Are you sayin-

Horseman: That's all one big illusion? Probably, but I'm not a magician. 

Courier: Are you seriously joking at this time?!

Courier was mad or more less piss at his alter-self as he grabs him by the collar. In response, Horseman headbutts his other-self, causing him to stumble to the ground.

Horseman: Get your head straight, Courier. We're in a reality where the souls of the damned and innocent are trapped and waiting for their fates to be determine! 

Horseman shouted, already getting sick and tired of everything as he turns around and mutters to himself.

Horseman: To make matters worse. The Tritons are here as well. 

Hearing this surprises Courier.

Courier: What? How-

Horseman: I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but my best guess is that they're hunting us down.

Courier: So they can finally kill us off... lovely...

Sitting up, Courier stay where he remains, already to give up on his life.

Courier: .....Why can't I just die already? 

Courier questions himself, looking at his body that is beyond recognizable. His mind breaking down from PTSD. Unable to feel his limbs mostly his missing left arm. He just wants to end it all. 

Horseman: ....

Horseman remain silent, turning around as he crouches down to Courier's level, holding out his hand to the broken carrier.

Horseman: Is that it? You're just going to give up?

Courier: ....

Horseman: ....What about your wives? Elda, Enterprise, Texas.... the others. Are you just going to forget what they brought to your life? They were the light in your never ending darkness. And you're just going let them fade away like they're nothing. Is that what you want?

At this moment, Courier begins to have a series of flashbacks. From his entry to the world Azur Lane, reuniting the Crimson Axis and Azur Lane as one, helping both Iris Libre and Vichya Dominion reform the Iris Orthodoxy, but most importantly... 

Horseman: There is much to be skeptical of this cruel world. "What's the point?" For many of us, the road is a difficult one, but the path is always there for us to follow, no matter how many times we may fall. Naturally, some days are... harder than others, but I must try. We all have doubts. The light of the mind alone cannot burn away all darkness. Think on it, and look in your heart. It will be for the best. When the walls come tumbling down, when you lose everything you have, you always have...

Courier: Family... I... I understand now...

Grabbing ahold of Horseman's hand, Courier was then pulled back up on his feet.

Courier: The fire that had kept me alive, was Love. Their love.

Horseman chuckles, seeing that his other-self finally gets it.

Horseman: Fair enough, we all go through periods of darkness. Of course... in a world filled with misery and uncertainty, it is a great comfort to know that, in the end, there is light in the darkness. "In such times we can turn to God, but it's good to have friends. And the Good Lord knows there's much to be done here."