#29: And As I Ran Away I Fell For You

The title –I hate it. But I couldn't think of something better, sooooo...

Anyway.

I think that except for some physical violence (not too graphic) and physical injury, there is no trigger warning.

Also, I did okay on my finals, in case anyone wonders.

Anyway, I hope you'll like this one. ♥

Published on July 2021
...

Loki was sitting on the chair of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s interrogation room, staring forwards. He could sense eyes watching him through the one-way mirror behind him. His fingers started tapping on the surface of the table in front of him. No, he wouldn't look back, wouldn't try to see through that strange glass. He couldn't –he knew he couldn't.

After some minutes of waiting in there that felt like forever, the door opened, and an interrogator walked in and sat before him. It was a middle-aged woman with curly frizzy hair.

"Why am I here?" asked Loki, and his voice sounded calm but full of exhaustion.

"A murder happened last night."

"Murders happen every day, agent..."

"Marcatos."

"Agent Marcatos. People kill each other all the time –am I considered responsible for every single death of that kind now?"

"No one said so, Mr Odinson, yet the evidence we have on this particular case leads to you."

"Evidence?" he inquired, cocking his eyebrow.

Agent Marcatos brought a remote control out of her jacket's pocket and pointed it towards a screen on the wall of the one side of the room. Loki lifted his gaze upwards and stared at the video she had put on: a man Loki didn't recognise was standing in front of a building, scrolling through his mobile phone. Suddenly, another person walked into the room; he was tall and thin, dressed in black, with long black hair and a gun in his hand. Loki furrowed his eyebrows as the newcomer in the video lifted the gun and shot, and the bullet got lodged in the other man's head, killing him in an instant. When the killer turned around, his face was visible in the camera. Oh, dear.

"The victim was one of our agents, named Vince Roland. The video was taken from an ATM camera on the other side of the road. Your face was an 83% match. Any questions?"

Loki was tongue-tied (how ironic for someone supposed to have a silver tongue), yet he finally managed to speak. "This is going to sound like a lie, but I literally have no idea what I just watched."

"The timestamp on the video says 10:57 pm. The place is at a 15-minute distance from your residence and a 5-minute distance from the Avengers Headquarters if you're driving a car, and your fellow Avengers said you left by car last night. Do you have an alibi?"

Loki huffed and ran his hand through his hair. "I was doing weapon training in the Headquarters until about 10.30 pm, so no, I do not have an alibi, but this does not make me a killer."

"You own a .45 ACP gun. If we take it for forensic analysis, will we find out that it has been fired recently?"

"I said I was doing weapon training yesterday, so obviously yes."

"If you confess, I will tell the judge you were cooperative, and this might grant you a commutation."

Loki laughed wryly. "I am not confessing to something I did not do."

"Evidence says otherwise."

"Your evidence is wrong. It might be a frame-up –it basically must be a frame-up. Do you think I am so stupid that I would kill someone without having checked the area for cameras? And, in front of an ATM? Seriously? I might be a criminal, but I am not an idiot –and this specific crime you try to blame on me is transcendentally idiotic."