#25: Never Forget

Hello, hello, hello, and sorry for needing so much time to post a new chapter. I feel a combination of what seems to be a writer's block and the all-too-familiar lack of time to type my handwritings.

Now that I have no more excuses to present to you, I'll let you enjoy the story.

(no trigger warnings for this chapter)

Published on June 2020

...

The God of Mischief strolled along the corridor, holding an envelope in his one hand. Dammit, Barton, should I search for you in the whole facility?

Loki had very recently become an official member of the Avengers, and the truth was that being Clint Barton's "secretary" was the last thing he had expected or wanted. But, well, it was a crucial stage of making the Avengers trust him –or at least he hoped so. When Thor had told him that he was going to be an Avenger, looking for Clint in the compound to give him those stupid files to sign was not exactly what he had imagined anyway. But here you are.

He finally heard Clint's voice emanating from a room. Yet it was the sound of a name that made him come to a standstill. His name.

"We can't just tell Loki; he just arrived here!" Clint was saying, "Don't you think it's gonna be a bit too much for him?"

Since when did Barton care about anything being too much for Loki to endure? And what were they talking about anyway? The Trickster stood right behind the half-closed door and listened to the conversation.

"But we have to!" Y/N debated, "We cannot keep it a secret forever, he'll find it out sooner or later. And it's his right to know".

Dammit, just say it. Say what I need to know, Loki internally screamed.

"We know, Y/N, but my brother's mental state is not the best right now", Loki heard Thor countering, "He needs some time to get over everything".

"How much time? If he finds out on his own-"

"Find out what?" asked Loki, pushing the door open.

He stepped in the room, placed the things he was holding on the desk which was near to the door and then folded his arms across his chest. Everyone in the room remained speechless.

"I'm listening", he insisted, with his blue-green eyes glaring at them.

No one spoke. After about fifteen seconds that felt like an eternity, Y/N's lips parted.

"What did you hear?" she questioned.

"Enough to know that there's something I need to know and some of you decided to let me in the dark instead of just telling me", Loki hissed, shooting a death glare in Thor's and Clint's direction, "And don't you even dare lie to me".

Y/N glanced at Thor and Clint. Thor wasn't even looking at her, while Barton's facial expression screamed: "It was your idea, now do it".

"It's about the New York attack on 2012".

Loki frowned and looked at her with both interest and frustration. I guess I simply cannot leave this behind, can I?

"There's a... a place. A memorial. For the people who lost their lives...then", Y/N finally said, avoiding eye contact, "They didn't want to tell you because-"

"Let me guess", Loki cut her short, "Because they thought I'd go there every day and would let pieces of my heart there every time... and blah, blah, blah...?"