#21: Was that...?

Hello! So, with the whole covid-19 situation I should have finished this earlier because my whole town is in quarantine, but... yeah, I'm me. 

For future readers, remember the glorious (a.k.a. awful) 2020?

Anyway, this is a request by a person that asked to remain anonymous. I'm bored to type the request and you're not gonna read it, so just read the story already! 🎉

I hope you like this. 

Published on March 2020

...

Loki was strolling in the garden of the Asgardian palace alone, enjoying the cool breeze that was blowing in his face, messing his hair. One could say he looked lonely, but he didn't feel bad about it. Sometimes he needed to stay alone, to get lost in his thoughts. Someone –Loki didn't know who he was– looked at him curiously before walking past him. Right, Loki thought, sighing softly. It probably looked odd, the youngest prince of Asgard walking alone, smiling to himself, humming some sort of melody. But, well, he was used to it. Always an outcast.

Some voices from the left side of the garden somewhere grabbed his attention. He turned his head towards the direction that the source of the voices seemed to be and saw Thor, with his shoulder leaned against a tree, his back facing Loki and his face towards something the trickster could not see from his position. He curiously walked towards his brother.

"Hey", he mumbled when he approached Thor, and then looked at what the oldest Odinson seemed to observe.

Y/N was there with a man who was teaching her how to use a bow and how to shoot arrows straight. Loki observed him; he was tall –around Loki's height– with his brown hair styled in a half-bun, broad shoulders, and generally a well-structured body. A good-looking man. Many people would surely like to make out with him. Loki thought that if he wasn't lovestruck already, he might have wanted to make out with him as well. But, well, his heart belonged to another.

At that thought, Loki turned his gaze towards Y/N and couldn't help but think how amazing she looked. Her beautiful body, dressed in her armour, the strands of hair that fell into her beautiful face, the way her delicate fingers held the bow and the arrow... the view was simply perfect.

Loki was so proud of her –her determination had amazed him. Not many people put on that much effort to become warriors in Asgard.

He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw the man standing close behind her –too close– touching her hands to fix her posture and show here where to hold, mumbling something into her ear.

He felt that again, the same feeling he had when Thor got all the praising but in a completely different way. It was envy. Envy because something he needed was being taken from him right in front of his eyes, or, in that case, someone.

His heart belonged to Y/N, unbeknownst to her. Or maybe she knew and just didn't show it. Loki always had a hard time reading people –understanding their emotions– and that mostly was because he couldn't even understand how he himself felt sometimes. He was not exactly an empath, that's certain. Nonetheless, this didn't change the fact that he was becoming jealous when he saw the man so close to her.

And the man, like said before, was handsome. And, well, Loki might be handsome too, but he was... weird. An emo kind of trickster, charming but crazy, sweet at times but potentially dangerous. These were things people were saying, things they whispered to each other when they thought he wasn't listening. It used to bother him, but now he had learnt that people would always find some fault on him, something to judge. He had even heard a maid calling him a 'depressive, aggressive grasshopper'. He had to admit that some people could make some quite imaginative nicknames.

"Her determination is astonishing, isn't it?" Thor asked, turning his head towards his brother.

"Huh?" Loki muttered, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Y/N's determination", Thor repeated, "It's really astonishing. She's going to be an exceptional warrior in our realm".

"Yeah", Loki answered, "She has been dreaming of this for some time, and she finally made up her mind when I told her that what she must not dismiss her chance –in other realms women are not allowed in battle".

"Really?" Thor asked.

"Hmm, yeah. It's astonishing how different civilizations perceive things. For us it's granted –it should be granted for them as well. I mean, in some realms women are not even taught basic combat skills to be able to protect themselves".

"How many books have you read about it?" the God of Thunder asked teasingly.

Loki let out a laughter.

"Quite a few", he said then.

Meanwhile, the man that was with Y/N was still too close to her, making Loki feel even more jealous. Then the man said something in her ear, and she started giggling. She replied, turning her face towards the man and giving him an adorable look.

Loki just couldn't help huffing angrily –a reaction that luckily Thor was the only one to notice. The God of Thunder smirked, his eyes gazing at Loki.

"Y/N is improving a lot", he pointed out.

The God of Mischief rolled his eyes as he folded his arms across his chest, making the fact that he wasn't in the mood of chatting anymore obvious.

Y/N could have asked him to show her how to use a bow; why didn't she? Loki's favourite weapons would always be daggers, but he was a brilliant archer as well. Why did she have to train with that man?

He saw Y/N patting on the man's shoulder and, if Loki read her lips correctly, she said "Thank you tons. See you around" before turning around and approaching the two Odinson brothers with quick steps. A beautiful smile curved in her lips as she talked.

"Hey, how are you guys doing?" she greeted them joyfully.

"Fine, I guess", Thor replied, "Also, well done, your skills have developed a lot. Who's that man? He's a great teacher".

"Oh, he's Asger, a friend", Y/N replied in the same cheerful way, "His mother was a friend with mine, so I know him since I was a kid and, well, you know how this works. I told him that I wanted some assistance, and he said he would be glad to help me".

"Looks like he's more than just a friend", Loki pointed out in annoyance.

Y/N frowned and looked at Loki, who averted his look and gazed at the grass, his arms still crossed across his chest. Her expression softened as she saw that glimpse of sadness in his angry eyes.

"Loki", she said softly and put a hand on his upper arm, "you don't need to worry about that; the most special place in my heart is already taken by a tall, beautiful, emo prince, with greasy hair and mesmerising eyes".

She leaned and kissed Loki's cheek while he had frozen in the spot. She patted on his upper arm and walked away. A couple of seconds later, he turned his head towards her silhouette as she left, then gazed at his brother with a bemused look in his face.

"Was that...?"

"A love confession, yes", Thor completed the trickster's sentence.

The latter glanced at Y/N once more as she moved away. Thor smirked.

"Go, lovebird", he encouraged him.

Loki smiled in a way that showed he was utterly thankful for the encouragement before turning on his heel and taking big steps in order to catch up with Y/N.

...

So, that was it. I hope you liked it and that it lived up to the requester's expectations. If you did like it, let me know by voting and commenting. I'll (try to) post as soon as I can. Till then, don't buy all the toilet paper in the world! (Future readers, remember?) 🙃