#47: I Could Not Foresee This Thing Happening To You

This is what happens when you are a Loki fan who's very, VERY prone to angst and writes fanfiction, and watch the episode 'The Accident' of Murdoch Mysteries season 11.

Trigger warnings: serious/near-fatal injury, a bit of gore.

✨ Enjoy ✨

Published on September 2022

...

It was a quiet afternoon in New York. Loki was walking along the pavement, heading to the Avengers Headquarters, which were now only a few minutes away from his current location. On his way, he came across Natasha and Bucky, and together they all moved towards their common destination.

"Would you mind if I stopped by to grab a coffee?" Bucky inquired at some point, his feet coming to a halt. "No offence to Tony, but the one at the compound is worse than cat piss."

Natasha raised her eyebrows. "I don't want to know how you know how cat piss tastes."—she turned to Loki—"I'm going along, will you?"

"No, I had a cup in the morning. Do you want me to wait for you?"

"No, just go on, and we'll catch up."

Loki exchanged a few more words with his companions and left them behind. Even though the traffic was high at that time of the day, the roads were not too loud overall, allowing him to ponder as he went on his way. He brought out his phone when it vibrated in his pocket, and a broad smile curved across his lips when he saw the message Y/N had sent him, asking him where he was. His heart fluttered; how would Y/N react if she learnt about Loki's feelings for her, he wondered? She was fond of him, sure, but always showed her affection in a friendly way and had never given him any signs she wanted anything more from him than friendship. But, on the other hand, he, too, had never let his emotions be even implied. No matter that they were right there, strong and burning like a forest fire, so how could he know whether she did the same?

He sent a quick reply that assured her he was on his way and glanced at the street light before getting off the pavement to cross the road.

Meanwhile, Natasha held her coffee and stood by the counter as she waited for Bucky to take his brew, looking at the neatly written 'Nat' on the cup. Her companion approached her soon with a scowl on his face.

"They wrote Barry," he complained, showing her the name that had been written on his cup.

Natasha shrugged as she took a sip from her coffee and pushed the door of the shop open. "Maybe you should have said James instead. It's a much more common name."

"Come on! My name is not that hard to-"

It is remarkable how quickly horrible things can happen; one moment, the road is there, wide open and safe, and the next, there is a havoc of ear-splitting noises, pungent smells and gut-wrenching images. Bucky's words got stuck in his throat as he jumped back in shock, uncertain whether he had pulled Natasha with him or she had pulled him. A car crash had happened right before his eyes.

Natasha rushed to the scene with a gasp; it appeared that a driver had ignored the red streetlight and drove past it, crashing with the side of a minivan that was, at that moment, moving vertically, and then at the already existing mess, two other cars had crashed, their drivers having no time to hit the brakes. Bucky went to check the drivers, while Natasha's attention was captured by the collision spot of the car and the minivan.

"Oh dear," she mouthed, approaching with swift steps. "Loki."

The God of Mischief was right there, trapped between the side of the minivan and the front of the car, surprisingly not only alive and breathing but also conscious and alert.