#50: All That You Can't Leave Behind - Part II

Hello.

After popular request, a continuation of chapter #49 is here, filled with pain, drama, tears and anguish (of course you expected that, though)! The happiest of birthdays to our favourite fictional character Loki (though in this story, his birthday is quite miserable).

(also, when I say 'popular request', I mean it)

Anyway, just so you know, the trigger warnings for this chapter include rape and sexual assault, eating disorders and gender dysphoria

At this point, I want to clarify that I am not genderfluid, so if I have written something--ANYTHING--that is inaccurate/offensive about the genderfluid experience without realising, please, please, PLEASE just tell me. DON'T dismiss it, please. I promise I won't be mad at you. Seriously, just go in the comments and tell me, "You know what, Anthea (or Eve)? The '[...]' part of this story is wrong/inaccurate/offensive because [...]. You should have written '[...]' instead." I won't be mad--I will be thankful FOR LIFE.

Published on December 2022

...

The cells proved to be excruciatingly lonely; that, of course, was no surprise to Loki, who had found himself locked up in the past, but still, to be prepared for an unpleasant situation rarely makes it any better. In Loki's case, it actually made it worse. He knew that, no matter how friendly his cellmate was and how much they talked, the loneliness would consume him, like it had done before, when he was trapped inside Thanos' clutches or when he was locked inside Asgard's dungeons.

And as if being deprived of his freedom wasn't enough already, he was struck with a situation in which no one seemed to want to talk to him except for Millard Halpert, his cellmate. And okay, Millard was not bothersome most of the time, but it was clear as day that his and Loki's common interests were few to none at all, a fact that didn't help much in conversations.

"You still haven't told me why you're here," said Loki, lying down on the top bunk and staring at the ceiling. It was dirty, he had noticed, and humidity created peculiar shapes here and there that reminded him of something different every day.

It had been roughly a year since Loki got sentenced, and he knew that it was Millard's second year in the lock-up. "I've told you I don't want to talk about it," Millard grumbled, and Loki could feel the bunk bed move as he shifted in his mattress.

"Well, you made me talk about my reason for being here."

"You weren't exactly reticent about it."

Loki could hear the sound of pages turning--Millard was reading something, and the god's distracting questions annoyed him plenty as anyone could see. Still, Loki wasn't prepared to give up for the day. He turned to his stomach and, shooting a glance at his own book that lay open beside him, he went closer to the edge of the bed.