#49: All That You Can't Leave Behind - Part I

Hello. :)

Look, I know it took me a little bit longer than usual but, in my defence, writer's block and university REALLY don't do well together.

Anyway, this is a story that I keep close to my heart for several reasons, and I hope you like it too.

Trigger warnings: rape and sexual assault.

Note: I've said a lot of times that I'm useless at writing smut, but this part has a very intense (CONSENSUAL, I am not THAT horrible) make-out scene (which I HOPE is decent), so maybe you don't want to read it in front of your parents or on the bus. Also please do let me know if it's horrible. I need to know. :')

Happy reading.

Published on November 2022.

...

Y/N's small business was what one would call "the neighbourhood bookshop." It was a quaint little place--a combination of a bookstore and self-service café--where anyone could come to enjoy some tea or coffee while relishing a quiet read surrounded by books, something that Y/N had always felt the absence of while growing up in that neighbourhood and took it upon herself to change that.

The bookshop was where she had met Loki; like her, he was a book enthusiast in search of a quiescent place to read, and he had fancied the services her business offered. He soon became a regular customer, and even though, at first, Y/N was wary of him because of his infamous past, she soon grew fond of him and her anticipation to see him again gradually grew with each time he came. Their conversations started with a "hey," and one thing led to another. Before they even knew it, they fell in love, and before they could make sense of it, they confided to one another. Their first kiss came on a rainy autumn evening; it had a taste of coffee and a sweetness that remained with them even after they parted, looking into each other's eyes. The next time they had met, he had asked her out, and she had accepted. They had been together ever since--for almost two years--and she couldn't imagine anything better in this life. She remembered when he had told her he had never been so madly in love before, and she couldn't help admitting that she felt the same way.

Loki often came to assist her at the store--kept it open if she had to leave, helped her organise the books or clean up--and it was a bliss to have him by her side. That day, when he arrived at the bookshop, he found her overflowing with joy.

"I got a new donation of used books by Mrs Pearl from down the street!" she announced with unbridled excitement. "She said that her late husband would want his book collection to be put to good use, and since she is not one for reading, she brought them to me," she informed, and then gestured towards a significantly large pile of carton boxes. "They're all there--and they're so many!"

Loki's face glistened with happiness. "This is great," he said, approaching the boxes and taking a look inside the one Y/N had opened some minutes ago. "Oh goodness," he mouthed as he brought out the book on top. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Mark Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer, first edition! It's worth over thirty thousand dollars!" Loki's jaw dropped in surprise. "He also had first editions of Gone with the Wind and Ulysses, and that's only the first box."

Loki was as awe-struck as she had been when she opened the box. Being given rare first editions of famous classic works of literature worth thousands of dollars for free didn't happen to every bookworm, after all.

"So, what are we going to do with these, just put them with the others?" he inquired then.

Y/N's face took a funny grimace. "Not a good idea, eh?"