#36: Baby It's Cold Outside (holiday special)

Hello! I hope you're all doing well and enjoying this year's holiday.

So, merry Christmas to everyone! Personally, I'm unreligious (I think I've mentioned it again lol), but Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year. The food is great, and the symbolism it has (being not only a religious holiday but also a celebration of love and generosity) warms up my heart. And I know that it might sound silly, but this means a lot to me.

Anyway, here is a Christmas story for the ones who share this feeling (and for those who don't and just want to see Loki wrapped in a fluffy blanket and watching a Christmas movie).

Also, since "Loki," (the series), we know Loki can enchant, so there's that.

Published on December 2021
...

December 23rd

Y/N was pacing along the pavement. The heavy rain soaked her to the bone, and even though she wished she had an umbrella, she knew that the powerful freezing wind would break it if she had one.

She couldn't believe she missed the bus on such a day. She had run with all the strength she possessed, just to see it speed away from afar. Unwilling to wait for the next bus in the rain for twenty minutes, she tucked her coat more tightly around her body and retraced her steps back home on foot.

The view of someone searching through the trash less than ten feet away from her made her stomach turn to knots; no one deserved such a life, especially this time of the year. At least Y/N would go home, turn the heat up and have a warm bath, but they... As she walked closer, she noticed the person's long raven hair that was soaked from the rain. They wore a long brown cloak-like cloth and no socks or shoes, allowing Y/N to see the blood that was running down under their ankle.

"Excuse me, madam," she called out as she rushed closer. The person turned around abruptly, and her gaze met a masculine face –a quite handsome one– with piercing blue –but tired–eyes. "Oh, I meant, sir. I'm sorry, I couldn't see you well through the rain-"

"It's all right," the person cut her off, a stunned but blissful expression taking over his characteristics. "I'm not the definition of masculinity, anyway, and never aspired to be. You can call me whatever you want, even though most people treat me as a guy –or at least an excuse of one." He paused for a second, possibly wondering if all he had said was necessary at all. Y/N's heart ached at the thought that he was probably being so open because no one had addressed him in a non-contemptuous manner in a long time. "Anyway, what do I owe the pleasure of talking with you?" he wondered.

"Your foot is bleeding."

"Oh!" he simply exclaimed, looking down and eyeing the wound. "I must have hurt it when I stumbled on that fire hydrant some minutes ago but chose to ignore the pain and hadn't noticed the bleeding. Thank you for telling me, even though there's little I can do about it."

"Maybe you should tend to it," Y/N said.

"Ma'am, if I had money to buy what's needed to tend a wound, I would spend it on food instead and wouldn't be here, looking through the trash in the rain." There was a smile on his face –a bitter one– and for a moment, Y/N thought that maybe the raindrops that ran down his cheeks were actually tears.

She kept her silence for a few seconds and then fixed the hood of her coat and said, "I could buy them for you. There's a pharmacy nearby." The stranger's face altered with surprise. "And then I could buy you something to eat."

He stared at her for a moment, not sure what he was supposed to say. Maybe he should refuse out of dignity –but screw dignity when your stomach growls so loudly that you can feel it even with the sound of the rain and hunger makes you weak.