#35: Broken Together

Hi.

I'm pleased to announce to you that I'm back with more angst!! 😃

Yeah, anyway, this part was requested by creepypastagirl17. It's a tad... different, but I like it. :)

Trigger warnings: angst, of course, and also violence and an amount of gore that might disturb some readers.

Anyway, enjoy. ♥

Published on November 2021
...

Loki and Y/N sat silently on the balcony bench at Loki's apartment, their hands wrapped around each other, gazing at the sky. They had come outdoors when the sky began to darken to watch the sunset, wishing to see what the dusk always promises –starlight. And, in a place like New York, where light pollution is an everyday (or, actually, every-night) occurrence, this promise was admirably well kept. The magnificent pearls of the nighttime that sat brightly lit on the sky's black velvet were beautiful, and as Loki's eyes expanded wider than they could in the fullness of day, he looked at not only one star but all of them at once.

"I'll never get enough of the view from up here," Y/N said as she snuggled closer to Loki.

His response was a soft chuckle and a soft kiss on her cheek, and then his eyes returned to marvelling at the beauty of the sky above, which looked as if someone had sprinkled crystallised sugar upon it. Some seconds of silence later, he started caressing her arm absentmindedly, feeling the softness of her silk-like skin under his fingertips.

He was there, but when Y/N glanced at him, it looked as if his mind wasn't. He, in fact, was ostensibly thoughtful and detached from the moment, his eyes glistening with starlight but also an unknown –to her– suffering, and his breath steady but somewhat strained, as if the thoughts that had consumed him tampered with his anxiety.

"Loki, dear," she mumbled, causing him to tear his gaze off the view and turn it towards her, "may I ask a question?"

A faint smile appeared on his thin lips as he pushed a raved wisp of hair away from his face. "Of course." The slight tremble in his voice indicated that the train of thought she had stopped with her query had brought him great distress.

"Do you trust me?"

A sound that resembled something between a chuckle and a huff escaped his lips. "What a silly question, dear; we've been together for so long." Y/N's look didn't change, and her eyes were still waiting for an answer. He sighed. "You trust whom you love, and you love whom you trust, and I wish you don't question the love I have for you." He still saw doubt in her characteristics. "Of course, I love you, and I trust you."

"Then why don't you tell me what bothers you?"

She looked up at him and had the impression that his eyes turned a shade darker. "The past," he answered then. "Life is like a path, and every step you take along the way determines how your journey will end. So if you take many wrong steps, you might end up in the wrong place."

Y/N watched as he started fidgeting with the front of his shirt and hung his head low pensively. "You barely speak about your past," she said, "so I suppose you can see the reasonability of my doubt."

"You barely speak about your past, too," Loki argued. "You haven't even told me what's going on with your hands." Loki glanced at her gloved hands; all he knew was that she had had an accident in the past that had turned the skin on that area of her body permanently charcoal black. "Should I doubt your trust too?" Y/N remained silent. "Perhaps I haven't told you because..." He seemed to struggle with putting his thoughts into words. "Because I'm no longer the same person I used to be. Or perhaps I haven't told you because it's too painful for me, and I neither want to burden you nor remember." The tremble in his voice was slight –almost not there at all– but she noticed, anyway.