SEVEN

The two women were sitting inside a small empty office

The two women were sitting inside a small empty office. Merle had been the one to take their weapons back, even the few knives Adira hid. The man was smart and he knew the brunettes were clever.

The door opened and in walked the Governor. With just a simple nod, Merle left and didn't argue. Which wasn't surprising to Adira. Merle was basically the Governor's puppy and did anything for him.

"You get off that?" The Governor asks while holding Michonne's katana and Adira's bow. Michonne had her back turned to him while Adira lazily laid on the couch staring at the ceiling. "Poking around other people's things?"

"We got nothing to hide here." He said while leaning on another table right next to the one Michonne sat at.

"People with nothing to hide don't usually feel the need to say so." Michonnes gaze never meets his.

"That's fair." He nods his head. "We all have our secrets huh?"

"Like Penny?" Michonne stares at him.

His breath got stuck in his throat and the two women could see his eyes widen. Adira always got bad vibes from the man. He walked around town with his head held high. Seeing him stutter made her head tilt. She took slow but long strides and stood next to Michonne.

The man cleared his throat and continued, "you know about Penny? Then you know I loved her."

"Bet you say that about all the girls." Michonne says, her face never showing emotion.

He lets a small smile grow on his face before sitting down in front of them. "You've got the wrong idea. I'm just a guy trying to do the right thing by the people I care about." He folds his hands in front of him, on top of the dark wooden table. "Now you want to leave, Andrea wants to stay. So you want me to take choice out of the equation. You want me to kick you out." His eyes squint and create small wrinkles on the side as he laughs.

Once seeing that none of the women were laughing, he quiets down. "Actually, I was about to give you your things back." He turns serious and switched his gaze to Adira, "because you fit in. We've enjoyed having the both of you." He stands up and grabs the katana.

"This is a real problem for me." He walks around them slowly. "People who follow the rules. And whether or not it's true, they believe it's what keeps them alive. You've turned that upside down." He stops right behind them.

Adira's breathing quickened once she hears him unsheathe then sword. He's right behind them, she could already imagine feel of the cold metal touching her neck. She relaxed her body, feeling ready to turn fast and take him.

"You've broken the rules. And if I don't do anything, I invite anarchy. How about this? I keep a lid on your little outbursts, you guys join the research team." He sheathed the sword with a small smile. "You obviously have skills and you're not afraid of biters. Merle will take care of you and then—"