TWENTY FIVE

Adira never went into quarantine

Adira never went into quarantine. She spent a few hours in her cell, reading and annotating. She loved to make small notes in her books. Before the apocalypse began, she had small sticky notes and she would mark certain parts in the book by color. Like blue would be sad, green was exciting, pink was romance, and of course purple would be the spicy scenes.

Time alone in her cell was something rare. She was always doing something. Of course, it was too good to be true.

She was busy reading "from blood and ash" when a sudden cough erupted from her throat. It was too hard to keep back, so when she let it out, her eyes widened. The page she had been reading was now splattered in blood. More coughs erupted from her throat and more blood flew onto her book.

She closed her eyes and hoped it was all a bad dream. But when she opened her eyes, it was all blurry. Sweat dripped from her head and she suddenly felt super claustrophobic.

Her heart began racing and she stumbled her way over to the cell block where all the sick were. In a matter of seconds she had gotten worse. Her fever was way higher and she felt so weak. "Hershel?"

"Oh dear." He walked out of a cell. He had a cloth over his nose and mouth. "Come on." He urged her and led her to an empty cell.

She weakly laid on the empty bed while Hershel went somewhere. She felt so weak, like she was almost paralyzed.

Hershel sat down on a stood beside her and have her a cup. She slowly brought it up to her mouth. The elder berry tea was sour and sweet. It had an earthy taste that she enjoyed. Hershel brought a hand to her forehead and sighed. "You're burning up. It's worse than the rest." He dipped a rag into a bucket of cool water. She watched as his pale hands squeezed the water out and placed the rag on her forehead. He left it there for a few seconds and softly dragged it around her entire face and neck.

In a few seconds he left her to make sure his other patients were okay. He tried his best but he couldn't do anything else until the group came back with the medicine.

Adira was half asleep. Her eyes were droopy and her body was burning. Her throat was itchy but held back the coughs. She wasn't scared to die, but she didn't want to go yet. She didn't say goodbye to Beth or Mitch.

God, she hated those types of goodbyes but they were necessary. Maybe she'll get to see Andrea or her family. That was the only good part.

She tried remembering all the memories with her friends. The times her and Mitch argued over the dumbest things. The time she and Beth made Daryl teach them how to do stick and pokes.

At the thought she rubbed the skin on the side of her wrist. There was a small detailed butterfly on the thin skin. She still remembered how much Beth complained about the pain. The many, many layers they had to make. They didn't want them fading anytime soon.

She wished everytime Beth saw a butterfly she would be reminded of her. Whether it was white or orange, she would think of her.

Koko would think she had left. She wouldn't get to see Lotus grow up. That made her heart clench. They wouldn't understand that she had gone. Hopefully someone will take care of them. Give them all the love she still had to give them.