FORTY THREE

Later that night, Adira walked down the stairs with only clean socks on her feet

Later that night, Adira walked down the stairs with only clean socks on her feet. It felt weird walking around without her boots, but it was comfortable. There was a pair of sweatpants on her hips along with a black long sleeve and hair that was still damp rested on her shoulders. The shirt was itchy but it was the only shirt she could find that would cover her scar.

In the main room, everyone was all huddled around with blankets. Judith was in a makeshift crib while Carl sat at the table with Minho, reading a comic they found in one of the rooms. Daryl sat at the window, appearing like a sinister angel in a painting.

Michonne sighed and walked down the stairs. "How long was I in there for?"

"Like twenty minutes." Mitch replied, eating a piece of jerky.

"God, I could not stop brushing." She rubbed her nose with wrist. The same thing had happened to Adira when she found a toothbrush in the cabinet. She was quick to pull it out of the package and when she found toothpaste, she immediately started brushing and she never wanted to stop.

Rick turned around to smile at them but Adiras eyes widened along with Michonne gasping. "What?"

"What the hell happened to you?" Adira scrunched her face and stared. Ricks huge beard had now been shaved off and his face was completely smooth. His hair was also shorter and to be honest, she didn't know who Rick grimes was anymore.

"That's the same thing I said and they all looked at me weird." Minho held his hands up before Mitch slapped the back of his head, causing the two to begin wrestling.

Rick chuckled and rubbed a finger over his smooth skin. "Is there something wrong with it?"

"No, but it's weird actually getting to see your face." Before she could laugh at her words, the doorbell ran and she quickly swiped an arrow and loaded it onto her bow.

Rick went to the door, his knife in hand, and opened it to reveal a shocked Deanna. "Wow." Was the first thing she said, staring at his bare face.

The man turned to look at Adira who lowered her bow with a sheepish smile and shrug.

"I didn't know what was under there. Listen, I don't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to stop by and see how you were all settling." She looked around the room and saw everyone together, huddled around in blankets on the floor.

"Oh, my." She looked back at Rick. "Staying together. Smart."

Rick shifted uncomfortably, "no one said we couldn't."

Deanna smiled, "you said you're a family. That's what you said. Absolutely amazing to me how people with completely different backgrounds and nothing in common can become that. Don't you think?"

"Everybody said you gave them jobs." Rick stated, quickly changing the conversation.

Deanna nodded, "yeah, you're part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all."