FORTY SIX

The world was completely silent

The world was completely silent. Nicholas and Glenn were telling the same story with different actions. Trying to get Deanna to understand what happened, but no one could make Adira talk.

She didn't say anything when Minho hugged her. She didn't say anything when Mitch cleaned the wound on her head or knuckles. She didn't say anything when Michonne helped her shower and change.

Michonne saw the bite. But she noticed how old it looked so she asked Mitch who explained it to her. Well, half explained it since he himself didn't know either.

No one could get Adira to talk. She sat at her window, frozen and unable to speak. She had never seen someone be so brutally killed. For all she knew, Nicholas had also lied and said that Adira has attacked him. Who wouldn't believe that? Her knuckles were split open and his face was bloody and bruised.

Noah believed in this place. Adira had failed at getting him home. Beth wanted him to live, to find a place he could call home. And he never did.

Over the past two days, Adira had found out Rick had gotten into a huge fight with an abusing man. He even pointed a gun at him, which was illegal. Michonne was there to stop him.

Rick was a good person morally in her eyes. He was family. And family protected each other. Until the day she died, she would protect Rick. She'd protect Michonne. She'd protect Mitch, Daryl, Minho, everyone. No one else would die before her.

She ignored the pang in her heart when Minho would come in the room, kneel down next to her, hold her hand, and then talk. She was detached from reality. She could hear him talk and she could feel him right next to her, but she couldn't see. She'd only see Noah desperately banging on the glass, calling out for her as he was torn apart.

She couldn't handle it anymore. She wanted to cry so badly, but she'd never do that. Not again. She couldn't be weak.

So when the sun came up, Adira Okwaho stood up and took a deep breath before getting in the shower and rinsing off all the bad worries. She pulled on a pair of clean jeans, socks, and fitted long sleeve shirt before pulling her boots on. Her hair was slightly knotted but she brushed it with a stoic expression before pulling it into a ponytail.

After slipping into a brown lamb skin jacket and brushing her teeth, she made sure to keep her footsteps quiet before trudging out the backdoor.

It felt amazing and relieving to be outside. To see the trees in the distance and the large fluffy clouds moving past the sky. Adira took a few steps, off the porch and onto the soft grass. It had been a while since she gave any thanks to the family above.

She carefully fell to her knees with a long sigh. She interlaced her hands and let her eyes close. Her head gently turned to the sky and she talked. Talked about everything to the sky woman. To her and her sons, Flint and Maple-Sapling.