TWENTY SEVEN

Adira's quiet footsteps made no noise as she walked through the forest

Adira's quiet footsteps made no noise as she walked through the forest. There was a gun strapped to her right thigh, a hunting knife on her left, and her bow hung loosely from her hand.

It had been a couple of minutes since they lost the group of walkers. Daryl led them and Beth stayed in the middle where it was safe. Adira stayed behind the group, careful to make sure nothing was behind them. It wasn't that Beth was weak, no, she was so brave and strong. But she wasn't as strong as Daryl and Adira.

The sun was setting, the sky was burning. They eventually sat down at the edge of a clearing. Daryl collected some fire wood and Adira started the fire.

They sat in comfortable silence beside the fire. There was a constant pounding inside of Adira's head. Her cheekbone ached. Koko laid close to the fire. He wasn't sleeping, just resting his eyes and body.

"We should do something." Beth's small and quiet voice said. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her chin rested on them. "We aren't the only survivors. We can't be. Rick, Michonne, they could be out here. Maggie and Glenn could have made it out of A block."

Beth could tell Daryl didn't believe her. It was clear on his face, he had a bruise under his right eye. When he looked back at the ground, she glanced over to the brunette who had her arms wrapped around her legs. Her eyes stared deep into the fire. She didn't want to think they were dead, but she didn't want to get her hopes up.

"They could've." Beth assured them.

Beth stood up, "you're a tracker. You can track. You both can, I know it." No one moved. "The sun will be up soon. If we head out now, we can— fine. If you won't track, I will." She grabbed Daryl's knife from the ground and stomped her way into the forest with Koko right behind her, making sure she wouldn't get into trouble.

"Beth." Adira called for her to come back, but the blonde only kept walking. The brunette stood up and followed her, silently hoping Daryl was behind them.

The sun soon came up and Adira quickly realized that Daryl was walking next to them, a few feet away. The group walked in silence, none of them up for a talk.

When the two women saw Daryl bend down they walked up to him. He was brushing a few leaves away from the ground. "Could be Luke's. Or Molly's." Beth stated when she saw the light foot prints. "Whoever they are it means they're alive."

Adira didn't want to get her hopes up, but that didn't matter now. "They're from a while ago. Five or four hours."

"Doesn't mean they're alive." Daryl added with a huff. It was clear he didn't want to believe they were alive. Maybe if he believed they were already dead, he wouldn't be so shocked if they were.

"They're alive." Beth snapped and stomped away, following the direction the footsteps were going. They walked past a grape plant and Beth continued. But Adira stopped and inspected it.